Author Topic: Three small questions on FM3  (Read 101 times)

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
Three small questions on FM3
« on: November 24, 2020, 04:41:57 AM »
Hello all -

-- Does the Mixer tab under Menu substitute now for what used to be "Multi" on FM2? How do I save, and load, a "multi"? I can't seem to get the Mixer page to do anything. [ although the MIX commands work great! ]

-- I know it's early in the game, but I imagine a software editor is planned maybe, i hope i hope, sometime in the future..?  :)

-- anyone else have trouble with rotary encoder #5 [bottom row, middle] not working?

served

• Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
Re: Three small questions on FM3
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:10:09 AM »
Hello,

Its probably issue on my side. Lets discuss through email and I will fix it for you!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:02:20 AM by served »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »
Hello all -
-- Does the Mixer tab under Menu substitute now for what used to be "Multi" on FM2? How do I save, and load, a "multi"?

Yes. It's imply called "Mixer" in the menu. So use the Mixer menu to load and save full mixer state. (It also saves the 6 instruments preset).

I can't seem to get the Mixer page to do anything. [ although the MIX commands work great! ]

Can you give more details ? I don't understand what is not working.
In case it's dont already done, upgrade to firmware 0.97.

-- I know it's early in the game, but I imagine a software editor is planned maybe, i hope i hope, sometime in the future..?  :)

You should try the preenfm2 editod as midi implementation should be compatible.
My goal is to have it working for both pfm2 & 3 in the next couple of month.

-- anyone else have trouble with rotary encoder #5 [bottom row, middle] not working?

As Ardi said above...

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »

Thanks all - Xavier, well, I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well. Then I would like to save that configuration of 5 different instruments, so I push Menu, and then Mixer, it gives me a page that says 1 <Empty> etc, and then a Select option below, but nothing happens when I do Select, and I can't seem to change anything except the Slot number for these multis, with encoder no. 1.

Served: thanks, I will be in touch!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 06:03:57 PM »

Thanks all - Xavier, well, I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well. Then I would like to save that configuration of 5 different instruments, so I push Menu, and then Mixer, it gives me a page that says 1 <Empty> etc, and then a Select option below, but nothing happens when I do Select, and I can't seem to change anything except the Slot number for these multis, with encoder no. 1.

Served: thanks, I will be in touch!

Oh, that makes me realize there's no Mixer bank in the zip file  :-\
You have to create a Mixer bank :
Menu > SD > CREATE > MIXER > SAVE

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
Super, thank you. That works very well. I should have been able to figure that out -- since the <Empty> prompt was greyed out.

Great synth!

ericd

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:51:46 AM »
I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well.

Wait- so you were able to load an instrument into slot 5?

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:56:06 AM »
No, that must have been working on one of the slots 1-4 . That message was from earlier I think where I didn't even have a Mixer file set up yet.

ericd

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:14:14 AM »
Not sure I understand. How did you get 5 instruments loaded and assigned to 5 MIDI channels, only using 4 instrument slots? Is there a way to load more than one instrument to a mixer slot?  Using program changes?
Maybe I am completely misunderstanding what you meant.

I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well.

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:01:36 AM »

Yeah that's unclear. What I was trying to say is I was actually trying to set up a bank of 6 preset sounds, one per slot per MIDI channel. I was building new preset sounds with Randomize going quite slowly, and then saving each of these as as presets. I was then loading them on different channels/slots on the mixer and I suppose I got to 4 and at that point tried to save as a Mixer [multi] file and got stymied. At that point I had no idea that slots 5 and 6 didn't work, or if I experienced that it was somehow mixed up with my frustration unsuccessfully trying to save a Mixer file. Not only that, but I had taken apart my whole unit because of a different issue and I wasn't sure that that wasn't still sketchy. In fact, until Xavier tells me, or maybe 5 other people weigh in to confirm, that slots 5 and 6 will have to be fixed/added in new firmware, I'm won't be 100% sure  ;D ;D  ::)