Author Topic: Volume mixer  (Read 462 times)

grit

• Team member
    • View Profile
Volume mixer
« on: March 18, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
Say I love my new PreenFM2 module, it all works very smart.

I might have missed functionality (have just been fiddling around with the PreenFM2), but wouldn't it also be nice to incorporate a performance menu somewhere so the 4 rotary encoder would act as a 'mixer console'? The menu could be added to the load/save/tools for example. Maybe some screen like this:

--------------------------------
|       CH1    CH2    CH3    CH4 |(can act as mute?)
| pan    0     -10     10     0  |
| fx     0      1      1     .5  |
| level  1      .5     .1    .5  |
|                                |
 --------------------------------

Maybe the left buttons could act as a Y selector and the rotarys are fixed to a channel.
This way you could use the PreenFM2 for e.g. live sequencer performances a lot easier

alien_brain

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: Volume mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
+1

hey, how about a vector mode?   :P

mzero

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »
+1

I was just coming here to suggest pretty much the same thing.
While performing live, I need a quick way to adjust the balance of the four instruments.

For me, volume is the only important one. Pan might be nice.
Fx level I can see as being difficult, in so far as it might interact with the patch... and not sure there is but one "fx" control to use?

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:29:02 AM »
+1
This would be a great addition.  :)

mzero

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 08:08:37 AM »
Other thing I noted today related to this: The volume of an instrument is reduced as you add more voices. This is done in an attempt to get the most dynamic range out of the DACs...

But in live work, this is very awkward: If I'm playing live and I decide to adjust the voice allocation - sometimes I like to up a bass sound from 1 voice to 2 - now I have to fiddle with other parameters to make it balanced again.

The 18-bit DAC has plenty of head room - it would be nicer to have a voice have a constant volume.

lokki

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:12:20 AM »
well yes and no... you see, when you use a sound with less harmonics, the headroom becomes a problem pretty fast. you can hear a distorted sound on a sine VERY quickly. that is why i think it is smart to have it that way. also where would you draw the line? have it always at 16 voices (the dac setting that is) so that when you play monophonic you only use 1/16th of the dynamic range? hmm.

to circumvent your volume problem in live settings i would create at least one instrument which fills up all the voices. once you need more on the bass for example, you simply reduce on the other instrument first.

that being said, it would be relatively trivial to change this in firmware. (xavier has done this for the 8timbres version and it is just one calculation that has to be changed)

mzero

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:05:43 PM »
yeah, I guess I would set as if all 16 voices were playing... So playing a single voice is giving up almost 4 bits of the DAC's range, so from 18 bits down to 14. But that's still a tremendous dynamic range for a single voice. I'd be surprised if it were a problem....

But, one approach would be - assuming you have a "master instrument" mixer like O.P. in this thread proposes - and assuming that is scaled so that you can achieve +/-12db (say). Now, if the output of each instrument is fixed to the maximal polyphony possible, then.... if you are only playing one instrument or just one voice, you can use this mixer page to regain those bits in the conversion.