Author Topic: Future availabilty on PreenFM2, want one but need to save up and other question?  (Read 8611 times)

Ny-Lon Juice

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hi,

1. Will these be available all the time to buy or released in small batches which sell out?

I really want one but cannot afford it right now(maybe before Xmas), I have asked TubeOhm to build it for me so far and he has given me a quote.

Other questions:

2. What patches does it come pre loaded with, i.e. does it have any classic patches from the 4op DX's like Lately Bass/Solid Bass etc or any classic DX7 banks etc or all new presets.

3(Solved). How easy is it to install DX7 banks/patches?

Cheers upfront...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:42:18 PM by Ny-Lon Juice »

toneburst

• Team member
    • View Profile
I don't think it can import 4-op FM patches. It can import DX-7 ones, though, with some caveats. The Preen uses a subtly different modulation method than the Yamaha synths, and doesn't have operator feedback, as the DX synths do, so there are audible differences between the sound of imported DX-7 patches on the Preen, compared to the original hardware.

I'm sure it would be relatively easy to create a good approximation of Lately Bass on the Preen. I don't know if anyone has made one already, but flipping through the DX-7 presets from this collection http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pages/html/dx7.html#patches (linked from the PreenFM2 docs), there were some pretty good solid basses.

I've just built my Preen, and an new to the community here, so I'm sure someone else can provide more specific information.

Cheers,

a|x

Ny-Lon Juice

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hi Toneburst, thanks for your reply, at present I own a DX-21 but love the small form factor, knobbiness, the loading of DX-7 banks(albeit may sound slightly different as you say) and a VST/Standalone editor as a bonus, this would replace my DX-21 hopefully, but I don't want to loose the Solid Bass and other sounds capable by the DX-21, in that case I would have to keep the DX-21, So really yes, can it do the early 21, 27, 100 4 Op thing as well as DX-7 6 Op thing is what I am getting at...

BTW I have found out how to put the banks of the DX-7 onto the PreenFM2 - using the usb stick, I already know and have them via Dave Benson's page the original Roms. So answered that question myself by reading up on this site...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:38:05 PM by Ny-Lon Juice »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
....can it do the early 21, 27, 100 4 Op thing as well as DX-7 6 Op thing is what I am getting at...

The preenfm2 has also some 3 and 4 operators algorithms... In adition any 6 operators algo can be turned into 5/4/3/2/1 operators algo by silencing the not-used operators.

I wouldn't recommand the preenfm2 to replace any DX* or TX* synths.

But keep in mind, it's small, has midi over USB, has stereo at carrier operator level, 2 step sequencers per timbre, much more modulation possiblities, a powerfull arpegiator, and HP/LP/BP filters  ;)
And it's easy to build. It has been built by several people as their first DIY project.

widdly

• Team member
    • View Profile
Here is a patch sheet for the lately bass..

and this is the algo chart..

On the PreenFM, I'd change the fourth oscillator to a sawtooth since it has feedback turned up.  I would use algo5 and and put IM4 at zero.  Or you could use algo13 and use the spare fm pair to thicken the sound.

Also try out the Bass Boost filter.  It can make bass and kicks sound huge.

toneburst

• Team member
    • View Profile
@widdly cool!

Sorry to derail, but do you happen to have any tips on creating drum (especially kick) patches on the Preen? I've noticed none of the DX-7 drum patches sound anything like drums on the PFM2. I guess other methods have to be used to create these kind of sounds.

a|x

widdly

• Team member
    • View Profile
The preen can do huge kicks.  Unlike the DX7, the envelopes are really fast and you can modulate pitch on each operator separately.   

A basic kick is two separate parts so find an algo with 2 separate pairs of fm operators {can't remember the number). 

The boom of the kick is a sine with fixed frequency at around 70hz.   No attack and sustain, short decay and release.  Set the extra envelope1 to modulate the pitch on op1.  Set it to no attack or sustain and even shorted decay and release and set the depth to something quite high.  This should give the basic kick sound.  Use can add in a little fm for flavour and grit.  Tweak the envelope decays and pitch envelope depth to taste.

The second oscillator pair will add the beater.   This is the click sound at the start of the kick.  It is called "attack" on a 909.   Set both fixed frequency waves around 1khz with a fair bit modulation.  Set the envelope to no attack, sustain and release and use a really really short decay.  Basically this should generate a click sound.  Adjust the decay and the modulation amount until you like it.  Set the volume of the click lower than the boom.

Add the bass bost filter.  You could map the volume, boom decay, bass boost frequency and click level to p1..p4 which would give similar controls to 909 kick.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The preen can do huge kicks.  Unlike the DX7, the envelopes are really fast and you can modulate pitch on each operator separately.   

A basic kick is two separate parts so find an algo with 2 separate pairs of fm operators {can't remember the number). 

The boom of the kick is a sine with fixed frequency at around 70hz.   No attack and sustain, short decay and release.  Set the extra envelope1 to modulate the pitch on op1.  Set it to no attack or sustain and even shorted decay and release and set the depth to something quite high.  This should give the basic kick sound.  Use can add in a little fm for flavour and grit.  Tweak the envelope decays and pitch envelope depth to taste.

The second oscillator pair will add the beater.   This is the click sound at the start of the kick.  It is called "attack" on a 909.   Set both fixed frequency waves around 1khz with a fair bit modulation.  Set the envelope to no attack, sustain and release and use a really really short decay.  Basically this should generate a click sound.  Adjust the decay and the modulation amount until you like it.  Set the volume of the click lower than the boom.

Add the bass bost filter.  You could map the volume, boom decay, bass boost frequency and click level to p1..p4 which would give similar controls to 909 kick.

Thanks for this  :D

toneburst

• Team member
    • View Profile
Perfect, thank you Widdly!

a|x

Ny-Lon Juice

• Team member
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the replies, I think I want one, the YT video of it sounds good and I like the tone, not worried it is not exactly like a vintage DX...I really like it's tiny footprint too! ;)

psoul

• Team member
    • View Profile
hey yo

been trying to make a real solid bass but invane... despite i'm collecting solidbass like that sounds good as well
if anybody out there has been reached the perfect solid bass on preen please share
best