Author Topic: Z-plane/Morph filter  (Read 5521 times)

teevee

• Team member
    • View Profile
Z-plane/Morph filter
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:00:33 AM »
Yesterday I was playing around with my E-Mu Ultra E6400, which is a sampler that is known for having this Z-plane filter.

Z-plane/Morph filter seems very complex and complicated and the short explanation would be:
“The possibility to fade between different filter parameter settings”

While my head now has a innovative idea, I just want to shoot it off before it disapirs ;)

Question:
Would it be possible to make a “fade filter”, which could fade between example two different algorithms?
•   Or maybe something similar?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Z-plane/Morph filter
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
I don't know how to do a fade filter between different algorithms except creating the 2 sounds and make a volume fade between both.

For a same algorithm, some parameters can be easily interpolated between 2 presets (operator envelope, operator frequencies, pan, mix, IMs, LFO (ecept waveform), env1, env2, step seq).
But some cannot are more complicated such as matric souce and destination or the waveforms (lfo and operator).

Implementing that to in preenfm2 would require a big amount of work ;)

Xavier

teevee

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
I don't know how to do a fade filter between different algorithms except creating the 2 sounds and make a volume fade between both.

For a same algorithm, some parameters can be easily interpolated between 2 presets (operator envelope, operator frequencies, pan, mix, IMs, LFO (ecept waveform), env1, env2, step seq).
But some cannot are more complicated such as matric souce and destination or the waveforms (lfo and operator).

Implementing that to in preenfm2 would require a big amount of work ;)

Xavier

Hello Xavier,
Thanks for the feedback, the idea was in my head so i just had to shoot it out ;)

I have here made a example made on the ”Vector synthesis” concept.

I know that you cannot “break-up” the OP algorithms as they are “fixed”

Basic example:
We set focus on one patch and put this patch on each of our 4 (Multitimbral instrument) and set a different algo for each of the 4 instruments and imagine that we can fade between the 4 instruments with a joypad.
•   If you leave the joypad in the mid between A, B, C and D, then we would hear 25 % of each instrument.
•   If you push the joypad to the top, then you would hear 100 % of A and the rest, would be left out.
•   If you push the joypad between C and A. This would give you 50 % A and 50 % C.
•   Where it get tricky is when you don’t push the joypad straight vertical or horizontal on the axis. But pull it example straight to a side and move it a bit up or down. So you example get 73 % of one side and  27 % of another.
•   Another tricky calculation would be, when you leave the joy pad a small step a side from the mid :D

My example is bad and basic as it would steal all the multitimbral :D

Kind regards
//TeeVee

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:20:01 PM »
Nice, but i think your idea already exists  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VVsVkQnXPc

teevee

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:34:14 AM »
Nice, but i think your idea already exists  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VVsVkQnXPc

Lol didnt know that :D I never really digged software vsti :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:47:30 AM by teevee »

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Hello..
I arrive after the battle..
Just reading this topic, I thought..
Well, as long as one wants to use 2 sounds, and morph them at different ratio, the matrix can be the tool..
By selecting one modulation source, let's say the mod wheel, on both of the presets.. And the destination would be, on each of those presets, "all mixes" etc.. But the multiplier would be +10 on one preset, and -10 on the other preset..
Then you could use the mod wheel to morph from one preset to the other..

But another source could be selected, like after touch, velocity, breath controller..
But sure, you already had figured it out..

Have a nice evening..
Thierry

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 10:37:29 PM »
yep, a 4 part vector fade could be realized with the right matrix settings and a decent controller joystick setup.  as theorized a while back.  this would include all capabilities of the voice  so you could fade between voices with differing filter types implemented.  just a simple crossfade however, not a strict morph.  but still...  on an fm synth?  sounds awesome!