Author Topic: Help! Experiencing a lot of problems  (Read 8338 times)

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
Help! Experiencing a lot of problems
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
Hi! So yesterday I received a used PreenFM2 that I purchased from eBay (I think from the first generation, it has an R4 board), which was tested and worked great before shipping. Now, though, it has so many problems, I don't know what to do:

-Does not power on when using USB

-Powers on when using 9V adapter, but screen is all blue. I can see the words if I tilt the synth in a certain angle. The screen says "Bootloader OK but No PreenFM Firmware". I cannot change the screen no matter what button I press. On the website instructions, when getting the bootloader and firmware, it says "Nothing on the LCD screen is normal", so is the screen supposed to be really hard to read, or did it possibly become damaged during freight?
- I removed the case and put the latest firmware on the USB stick (SanDisk the recommended model), but nothing happens on the PreenFM.

I feel almost like I'm more at a disadvantage that I bought this pre-made, because I have no idea about soldering and I don't know where to look or what to do if something happened during shipping.

I'd appreciate any help!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Experiencing a lot of problems
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:18:07 PM »
Hi! So yesterday I received a used PreenFM2 that I purchased from eBay (I think from the first generation, it has an R4 board), which was tested and worked great before shipping. Now, though, it has so many problems, I don't know what to do:

Hi,
This is one of the reason i don't sell premade preenfm2  ;)

-Does not power on when using USB

Do you have a jumper on jmp2 ?

-Powers on when using 9V adapter, but screen is all blue. I can see the words if I tilt the synth in a certain angle. The screen says "Bootloader OK but No PreenFM Firmware". I cannot change the screen no matter what button I press. On the website instructions, when getting the bootloader and firmware, it says "Nothing on the LCD screen is normal", so is the screen supposed to be really hard to read, or did it possibly become damaged during freight?
- I removed the case and put the latest firmware on the USB stick (SanDisk the recommended model), but nothing happens on the PreenFM.

Bad contrast : try turning the variable resistor beside the LCD screen to adjust it. You'll need a small screwdriver.
No preenFM firmware : You have the bootlloader flashed but NO firmware... Press down a button when switching on the preenfm.
Put the last firmware on the usb stick and flash it foolowing instruciton here:
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/upgrade-firmware/

Xavier

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »

Hi,
This is one of the reason i don't sell premade preenfm2  ;)

I get it now!...

Do you have a jumper on jmp2 ?

This is where I'm really unskilled. When the jumper is on does that mean both little prongs are covered in the black rubber or plastic or whatever it is? Because JMP1 has both of the prongs "wrapped", while JMP2 and JMP3 only have one prong inside, the black thing looks like it's off to the side, if you know what I mean.

Bad contrast : try turning the variable resistor beside the LCD screen to adjust it. You'll need a small screwdriver.

I have no idea how to do that...do I need take off the top case? That means I would have to remove the pots and knobs, too....

No preenFM firmware : You have the bootlloader flashed but NO firmware... Press down a button when switching on the preenfm.
Put the last firmware on the usb stick and flash it foolowing instruciton here:
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/upgrade-firmware/

That's part of the problem, as soon as I plug in the PreenFM,  the "Bootloader OK" screen appears, and does not change no matter what I press.

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »
Okay, small update. I turned on JMP2, and when I plug it in USB, it works and looks pretty good. I still get the "Bootloader OK" screen, though. When I turn on JMP3, the screen has the bad contrast (if that's what it is), and a bunch of squares are appearing. Right now I'm trying to reformat the USB stick as directed in the FAQ. Should I put the original pfm file on the stick, or should I just download the latest firmware and put that on the stick?

To make my question clearer: what all should I have on USB stick for this to work? I want to just start over and get the newest bootloader and start from there....

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »
Another update! When I hold (3) when turninng on the PreenFM (with JMP2 on, I still get white squares with JMP3 even after reformatting the USB stick), I get a screen that says "PreenFM bootloader v1.00 Sysex upgrade Erase Firmware-->". The only button that does anything is (6), and a screen says "Formatting 1/4...2/4..." and so on, then I get a screen "Waiting for sysex..." and it stays on that screen until I turn the synth off.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »

Hi,

You should have a look at the building information :
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/build-it/the-pcb-r5/
Specially the part about JMP1, JMP2 & JMP3.

You have an old bootloader....
Start from scratch and flash both the bootloader and firmware :
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/build-it/burn-firmware/

Xavier

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »
Thank you, Xavier. I figured out how to use the jumpers, and I also realized the LCD resistor you were referring to (so obvious!).

When I hold down the Mtx button I get the ST32F4 DFU screen, but I can't do anything from there. I've been trying to do what the burn firmware page says for the last couple of days, but that's where things get frustrating. I put the files on the USB stick and nothing happens. When I plug the PreenFM into my computer, my computer does not recognize the USB (I get the white squares as mentioned in the FAQ). I downloaded Zadig, and Zadig cannot find the STM32 bootloader. I hoped that reformatting the USB stick would solve the problem, but nothing's changed. The USB stick should be fine, since the person before me used it (I had to erase the original files to format it), but obviously something is wrong.

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
Also, what does that sysex upgrade page mean? I searched for it on Google, and I couldn't find anything about it....

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 10:24:48 PM »

2 different things : bootlader and firmware.
Forget sysex upgrade... it's not supported anymore.
To upgrade the bootloader no choice: you have to use the DFU method.

But upgrading the bootlader is not 100% required.
You should be able to flash the firmware (the real preenfm2 "OS") puting the firmware in the /pfm2/ folder on your USB stick.
By booting on the bootlodare and chosing "USB upgrade" or what is written in your old 1.00 bootloader.

When I hold down the Mtx button I get the ST32F4 DFU screen, but I can't do anything from there.

What do you see ?
What do you NOT see ?

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 10:40:27 PM »
On the PreenFM I see "PreenFM bootloader v1.00 !STM32F4 USB DFU!". Nothing can change the screen unless I turn off the PreenFM. I don't understand your question, "What do you not see?"

On my USB stick, I have the /pfm2/ directory from the downloads page ( USB section), the /build/ folder from firmware 1.06, and the 4 dfu files from the binaries download (I found it searching in the forum, the actual website doesn't seem to work anymore). Am I missing anything?

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
Now something new! I realized I had the old firmware from the /pfm2/ download along with 1.06, so I deleted the old versions. Now, when I plug in the PreenFM while holding (2) I get this screen: "PreenFM bootloader v1.00 USB upgrade". It then moves to this screen: "Flash Firmware No firmware on Key <- Please Reboot ->".

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 10:58:21 PM »
Now something new! I realized I had the old firmware from the /pfm2/ download along with 1.06, so I deleted the old versions. Now, when I plug in the PreenFM while holding (2) I get this screen: "PreenFM bootloader v1.00 USB upgrade". It then moves to this screen: "Flash Firmware No firmware on Key <- Please Reboot ->".

Almost  ;)
You should be able to browse the firmware on the USB stick while pressing one of the left buttons.
Any of the 2 right butttons flash it.
"No fimware on key" ... you deleted too many firmware.

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 11:02:38 PM »
But if I have the firmware for 1.06 (which I extracted straight into the USB stick), why would the old ones matter? What files should I keep from the old one? Should I get rid of the new bootloader file (p2_boot_1.11) since I have already bootloader 1.00 flashed?

ItalianOx

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »
I GOT IT! I put it in the wrong directory, I misunderstood the directions on the FAQ....I still can't figure out how to upgrade the bootloader (I still get the squares with JMP3 on), but that should be okay for now! Right now just testing the MIDI...thank you for your patience and guidance, Xavier!