PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

Help! Experiencing a lot of problems

(1/3) > >>

ItalianOx:
Hi! So yesterday I received a used PreenFM2 that I purchased from eBay (I think from the first generation, it has an R4 board), which was tested and worked great before shipping. Now, though, it has so many problems, I don't know what to do:

-Does not power on when using USB

-Powers on when using 9V adapter, but screen is all blue. I can see the words if I tilt the synth in a certain angle. The screen says "Bootloader OK but No PreenFM Firmware". I cannot change the screen no matter what button I press. On the website instructions, when getting the bootloader and firmware, it says "Nothing on the LCD screen is normal", so is the screen supposed to be really hard to read, or did it possibly become damaged during freight?
- I removed the case and put the latest firmware on the USB stick (SanDisk the recommended model), but nothing happens on the PreenFM.

I feel almost like I'm more at a disadvantage that I bought this pre-made, because I have no idea about soldering and I don't know where to look or what to do if something happened during shipping.

I'd appreciate any help!

Xavier:

--- Quote from: ItalianOx on January 24, 2015, 06:24:31 PM ---Hi! So yesterday I received a used PreenFM2 that I purchased from eBay (I think from the first generation, it has an R4 board), which was tested and worked great before shipping. Now, though, it has so many problems, I don't know what to do:

--- End quote ---

Hi,
This is one of the reason i don't sell premade preenfm2  ;)

--- Quote from: ItalianOx on January 24, 2015, 06:24:31 PM ----Does not power on when using USB

--- End quote ---

Do you have a jumper on jmp2 ?

--- Quote from: ItalianOx on January 24, 2015, 06:24:31 PM ----Powers on when using 9V adapter, but screen is all blue. I can see the words if I tilt the synth in a certain angle. The screen says "Bootloader OK but No PreenFM Firmware". I cannot change the screen no matter what button I press. On the website instructions, when getting the bootloader and firmware, it says "Nothing on the LCD screen is normal", so is the screen supposed to be really hard to read, or did it possibly become damaged during freight?
- I removed the case and put the latest firmware on the USB stick (SanDisk the recommended model), but nothing happens on the PreenFM.

--- End quote ---

Bad contrast : try turning the variable resistor beside the LCD screen to adjust it. You'll need a small screwdriver.
No preenFM firmware : You have the bootlloader flashed but NO firmware... Press down a button when switching on the preenfm.
Put the last firmware on the usb stick and flash it foolowing instruciton here:
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/upgrade-firmware/

Xavier

ItalianOx:

--- Quote from: Xavier on January 24, 2015, 07:18:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: ItalianOx on January 24, 2015, 06:24:31 PM ---Hi! So yesterday I received a used PreenFM2 that I purchased from eBay (I think from the first generation, it has an R4 board), which was tested and worked great before shipping. Now, though, it has so many problems, I don't know what to do:

--- End quote ---

Hi,
This is one of the reason i don't sell premade preenfm2  ;)
--- End quote ---

I get it now!...

--- Quote ---Do you have a jumper on jmp2 ?
--- End quote ---

This is where I'm really unskilled. When the jumper is on does that mean both little prongs are covered in the black rubber or plastic or whatever it is? Because JMP1 has both of the prongs "wrapped", while JMP2 and JMP3 only have one prong inside, the black thing looks like it's off to the side, if you know what I mean.

--- Quote from: ItalianOx on January 24, 2015, 06:24:31 PM ----Powers on when using 9V adapter, but screen is all blue. I can see the words if I tilt the synth in a certain angle. The screen says "Bootloader OK but No PreenFM Firmware". I cannot change the screen no matter what button I press. On the website instructions, when getting the bootloader and firmware, it says "Nothing on the LCD screen is normal", so is the screen supposed to be really hard to read, or did it possibly become damaged during freight?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Bad contrast : try turning the variable resistor beside the LCD screen to adjust it. You'll need a small screwdriver.
--- End quote ---

I have no idea how to do that...do I need take off the top case? That means I would have to remove the pots and knobs, too....

--- Quote ---No preenFM firmware : You have the bootlloader flashed but NO firmware... Press down a button when switching on the preenfm.
Put the last firmware on the usb stick and flash it foolowing instruciton here:
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/upgrade-firmware/
--- End quote ---

That's part of the problem, as soon as I plug in the PreenFM,  the "Bootloader OK" screen appears, and does not change no matter what I press.

ItalianOx:
Okay, small update. I turned on JMP2, and when I plug it in USB, it works and looks pretty good. I still get the "Bootloader OK" screen, though. When I turn on JMP3, the screen has the bad contrast (if that's what it is), and a bunch of squares are appearing. Right now I'm trying to reformat the USB stick as directed in the FAQ. Should I put the original pfm file on the stick, or should I just download the latest firmware and put that on the stick?

To make my question clearer: what all should I have on USB stick for this to work? I want to just start over and get the newest bootloader and start from there....

ItalianOx:
Another update! When I hold (3) when turninng on the PreenFM (with JMP2 on, I still get white squares with JMP3 even after reformatting the USB stick), I get a screen that says "PreenFM bootloader v1.00 Sysex upgrade Erase Firmware-->". The only button that does anything is (6), and a screen says "Formatting 1/4...2/4..." and so on, then I get a screen "Waiting for sysex..." and it stays on that screen until I turn the synth off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version