Author Topic: What type of solder should I get for this synth?  (Read 3988 times)

NineFourtyFive

• Team member
    • View Profile
What type of solder should I get for this synth?
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »
So, I am about to order a huge amount of practice solder kits and I am going to order the following tools for the job so far:
FX-600 FX600 solder gun
Chisel Tip
Solder wick finebraid
xcelite mirco flush cutting shear
5x learn to solder kits

Now the only thing that I am worried about really is the type of solder I should buy, I have seen tutorials on youtube for soldering and its looks really easy but they recommend a type of solder that I can't order in the USA. : (
So this is what I am looking at right now and I understand that you need it to have flux also and the video i watched recommends that you get it 0.40 or less size as well.

I am currently thinking about getting this:http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Solder-031-lb-Spool/dp/B00DHHAZ3A#productDetails

But I am not really sure if its a good quality for making a synth with? It seems like a great deal for the price! I am just not really sure if its the best type nsolder for the job! Can someone please make a recomendation for me?

Thanks, 9:45

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: What type of solder should I get for this synth?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »
Perfect.  Full of lead.  Flux center.  .031 is a good diameter. (smaller and you have to push a lot more onto the pads.  Larger and it's hard to reach the pads.)  Lots of it on the spool.  Be sure to get a good small fan near by... or at least blow really hard on the iron.  :)

NineFourtyFive

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
Yeah I heard the fumes can cause health problems : (
Thanks for the help!

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
Supposedly.  It is smoke after all.  Maybe if you use a whole lot of it...  like smoking a whole solder wick cigarette.  I wouldn't worry at all if you have a fan.  :)