Author Topic: USB Driver on Windows 7  (Read 5378 times)

cdswift

• Team member
    • View Profile
USB Driver on Windows 7
« on: April 04, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »
Hi,

My Preenfm2 connects OK via USB and is recognised as a DFU device when started in DFU mode.  When started in normal mode it is recognised as PreenFM mk2 (Interface 0) but is classified as a USB Device rather than as a Sound, Video & Game controller device.  As a result it does not appear as a midi device in any of my midi player applications (although my M-Audio UNO does).  The OS is Windows 7 32 bit.  I have connected the module to a Windows 8 machine & it is recognised fine as a midi interface.

Any ideas how to force my PC to recognise PreenFM2 as an audio/midi device?

cdswift

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: USB Driver on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
This gets more curious.  I connected the PreeFM2 to another box with Windows 7 and it was correctly identified as aSound, Video & Game controller device.  I have deleted all references to PreeFM in the registry and as soon as I connect it, it is identified as the wrong type of device.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »

Hi,

Weird... never heard of this problem.
Can you try to go in the device property (right click + properties + drivers), and to try to chose another driver...
Don't know exactly but you can try to update and select a different one if i remember correctly...

Xavier

cdswift

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
Hi Xavier,
This is clearly not a problem with the preenfm2, but with the notebook that I am using.  For the time being. I will connect using my usb to midi converter which works fine.

I've tried all sorts of tricks to get it to use a different driver, but it keeps reverting to what I think is a mass storage driver.  I have tried copying the driver files from the working machine but it makes no difference.  I suspect if I rebuilt the OS, it would work fine.

Out of interest, is the midi client code yours or standard ST Microelectronics?

Chris

I will keep searching for a solution in the background & let you know if I find one.

cdswift

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
Hi Xavier,

An update for you.  I built an Arduino based usb - midi interface that uses standard Windows Class drivers.  When I connected it to my laptop, it wouldn't load the correct driver either - so its definitely my laptop that is the problem.  Well, I decided to buy a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and both devices work perfectly.  I will just rebuild my other laptop at some point.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »

Thanks for the update.