Author Topic: Anyone able to compare Preen with TX802?  (Read 3709 times)

frompuggle

• Team member
    • View Profile
Anyone able to compare Preen with TX802?
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
So I'm curious if the PreenFM2 replaces or more complements some of the classic Yamaha gear. I know the Preen loads DX7 patches, and the original DX7 is 12bit, which sounds a little muddy to my ears. But how does the SOUND on the Preen compare to the DX7II/TX802? I know the Yamahas allow intermediate feedback values, but I've also read on here that this often is not a huge deal, but I do know that technically these are diff types of synthesis, but how much are they identical when trying to do the same things (ie: loading DX7 patches)? Perhaps also the Preen's newer parts impact the sound, I know this is often the case on analog gear, not sure if that matters here, but are the D/A converters same spec and all, or does the Preen and DX7II/TX802 sound basically identical?

I have none of these synths currently, so I'm curious what people who do think. Does it make sense to get both, or does a Preen make classic Yamaha gear unneccesary? Thanks!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone able to compare Preen with TX802?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
Hi,

Here are some clarification  ;)
The preenFM2's do not try to mimic the yamaha sound.
They do not sound identical.
They are totally different internally. Totally...

The preenfm2 loads DX7 patches, but some parameters are not used, others are mapped with more or less success.
I don't even have a DX7 and I used Hexter to compare the results when i coded the DX7 import function.

If you want the yamaha sound buy a yamaha.
If you want to play with complex modulations, have something easier to edit, do microtonality, play with a built-in randomizer, have something smaller, USB over midi...etc... (see full feature list ;)... Then build a preenfm2.

Xavier

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:41:48 PM by Xavier »

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone able to compare Preen with TX802?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 11:49:50 PM »
preenfm2 all the way.  tx802 is nice too, but preendm2 is the fm synth for me!