Author Topic: pfm2 : 2.21  (Read 127483 times)

lokki

• View Profile
Re: Latest firmware : 2.08a
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
what about pressing the inst button and pressing an encoder down, or inst and menu?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
what about pressing the inst button and pressing an encoder down, or inst and menu?

Maybe you said it, i don't remember.
But why do yout think it's a good idea to have the midi channel in the preset ?
Don't you have your synth/sound module with a dedicated midi channel each ?

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2017, 11:27:24 PM »
well, with the 8timbres version of the firmware that feature is not so pressing to me, since i can have 8channels in each preset.
but let's assume we are on the 4timbres version...
for live performances i have a controller that can send on 8 channels, since i never use them all on one preset (and since the channels represent different modes of the controller) it would be nice to switch the channels with the combo-presets. that way i can send a program change to the preenfm and all is adjusted for the next song/part whatever. reaching down to the preenfm and adjusting in the menu is of course no option :-)

but more importantly now (with the 8timbres version) is actually the offset of midi notes to me. so that i can play treble parts and bass parts on the same controller. let's say i1 has a bass part and i2 has a melody part loaded. i can then play both on my controller but i cannot switch octaves on the controller so fast. if i could adjust an offset for i2 i would set it to +24 and all incoming midi on i2 would be 2 octaves higher.

these two features (midi channel and offset) are very common on many multitimbral synths, and are usually part of the combo/multi preset, hence my suggestions. i'm simply used to that workflow and the preenfm would integrate much smoother into my setup... :-)

thanks for taking the time

chaocrator

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2017, 08:45:12 AM »
but more importantly now (with the 8timbres version) is actually the offset of midi notes to me. so that i can play treble parts and bass parts on the same controller. let's say i1 has a bass part and i2 has a melody part loaded. i can then play both on my controller but i cannot switch octaves on the controller so fast. if i could adjust an offset for i2 i would set it to +24 and all incoming midi on i2 would be 2 octaves higher.
as for me, the best option would be keeping transpose value for an instrument somewhere in the preset if necessary, but leaving MIDI channels settings independent of used presets/combos. (this is how my Novation Nova handles this stuff, and i love it.)

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
yeah i could live with that :) with 8timbres, i have everything i could wish for...

so the question remains how and where one could implement that transpose/offset? i think the combo preset would be a better place then the sound preset, because one may want to use the same sound in different combos. otoh if it is easier to implement in the sound presets, than that is ok as well. might as well save two versions of the same sound with different offset/transpose settings. but i think xavier is hesitant to change the preset file structure, because it will "break" all existing patches. so it should be easier to do in the combo file..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:57:08 PM by lokki »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Latest firmware : 2.08b (2018 April 1st)
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »

2.08b fixes a bug that could be annoying.
http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=63505.0

Xavier

mzero

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2018, 09:27:47 PM »
The release on github is tagged incorrectly: 2.08b tag points to the same commit as 2.08a

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »

Oops... right.
I created the release before pushing my modification.
The binary was correct though.

Anyway, i created a 2.08b2 tag for the release.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Latest firmware : 2.09 (2018 October 28th)
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
Latest version 2.09 :
This version fixes several annoying bugs that occured while using the editor or while controlling the preenfm2 from an external midi controller.

Latest firmwares and the bootloader are available from Github release folder:
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm2/releases

alexchm

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2018, 12:51:13 AM »
nice upgrade, no more crashes! (for the moment, at least  ;D)
but like lokki said, it'd be cool to have the option to save combos with different midi channels, that way you can change the combo and have all instruments on same midi ch. for stacked, combo 2 to have each instrument on it's own channel etc. this way would integrate better with a sequencer that sends program changes. and when you make a new combo, let's say, every instrument is set as default (like you have it in settings) but with the ability to change that fast, not having to go each time in settings (i made some percussion patches, would love to use it as a drum machine sometimes). also, to have the option to save the performance parameters in the combos, and maybe a revert option for the encoders, and i can sell my soul to the.. no, actually i can sell my tx81z and other stuff, this is one of those little things with huge potential. Cheers!

alexchm

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2018, 12:35:02 AM »
Came to report that nothing happens when i send a nrpn with parameter 16383, my controller doesnt receive any dump. tried max/min values from 0 to 127 in all combinations. Or is that function for usb only?

Edit: works now, nrpn has to be sent in absolute 14 bit, i had to use custom output command to my Dump button
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:25:01 PM by alexchm »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
Hi,

Maybe in some (rare) case having midi channel in combo would be usefull but i'm sure i'll have much more problems with people reporting it stops working because they don't send the midi channel of the combo.

Regarding the FLUSH it's used all the time by the plugin, so i think it works. The flush is done whatever the nrpn value is.
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm2/blob/master/src/midi/MidiDecoder.cpp#L753?ts=4
No it's not for USB only, should work with DIN5 midi.

Xavier

chaocrator

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2018, 07:46:26 AM »
i want to try a couple of minor tweaks.

README.md in firmware source says:

To compile the firmware, you'll need [arm-gcc version 4.7] (https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+milestone/4.7-2012-q4-major)

will other (e.g. 5.x) versions of arm-gcc work, or is it just untested?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »

I think i wanted to upgrade a long time ago to a more recent version, and it just didn't compile.
As it worked well with 4.7 i sticked with this release.

Also i updated the README to the latest 4.7 version which is the one i use today.
https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+milestone/4.7-2014-q2-update

don_sook

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2019, 12:05:17 AM »
Hey, Xavier

Thanks for the firmware update. When would we expect the next one?

I would love to have more destinations in the modulation matrix. Some which come to mind:
  • Envelope 1 - 6 Trigger, Envelope * Trigger (e.g. trigger envelopes with an LFO)
  • Algorithm (e.g. cycle through different algorithm via LFO)
  • Op1-Op6, Op* Oscillator Shape(e.g. cycle through different oscillator shapes via LFO)
  • LFO 1-3, LFO* Shape(e.g. cycle through different LFO shapes via LFO)
  • Free Envelope 1-2 Parameters (e.g. Free Envelope 2 'Attk')

Thanks for all your work on this :)