Author Topic: It's alive!  (Read 13210 times)

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
It's alive!
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
I had never picked-up a soldering iron before 9pm last night, but by lunchtime today I was listening to the dulcet tones of a newborn PreenFM. Hands-on it took about 8 hours.

Truth be told, I never thought I would get it to work, but it did, after some minor troubleshooting. I am absolutely thrilled that I managed it  ;D

And the bonus is this wonderful little synth. Sounds much better than I expected. I am looking forward to spending some serious time with my new baby.

Thank you Xaviar for developing this and providing the clear instructions (inc the resistor sheet - lifesaver!).  I think you have just set me on a new lifelong path - I am already looking at new thing's to try next. 

8)

Kind regards,
stim

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:30:53 PM by stimresp »

istran

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: It's alive!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
A new one built here, too. For some reason I had some trouble with spacers, they never seemed to be right: too short or too long. Well, with some fiddling and washers, now it is ok. Sound programming is going to take some time I guess...

Flashed in 1.61, severe note-off problems with 1.60. Hopefully they are gone now.

Anyway: a very nicely made kit, thank you very much, Xavier. Merci!

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
Hey - congratulations :)

Yeah, the spacers don't seem quite right. I think the description has them the wrong way round. The 5mm ones seem to go at the front.

Oh yes - must flash up...

Cheers

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
First congratulation for the 2 new PreenFM. It's always a pleasure to read that  :D
Stimresp, specialy if it was the first time you hold an iron...

Isran, note-off problems ???? I think 1.61 don't fix any note-OFF problem.
What is you configuration ? keyboard directly plugged to the preenFM ? What kayboard model ?

The 5mm ones seem to go at the front.

Aouch.... no....
You should have 2*5mm and 4*10mm...
5mm are supposed to be under the LCD, the 2 LCD screws should go through the two 5mm spacers.
The 10mm are  the ones to separate the PCB from the blue surface control.

Let me know if it's clearer,

Xavier
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:26:32 PM by Xavier »

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:25 AM »
Yes - my mistake - I worked it out in the end.  :-[

I was just a little worried about the CD pins being bent, but now that everything is together it seem better.

While I'm here, Xavier are there any reference materials for fidding with the source code?

Thanks

istran

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »

Isran, note-off problems ???? I think 1.61 don't fix any note-OFF problem.
What is you configuration ? keyboard directly plugged to the preenFM ? What kayboard model ?

Well, I mean, when trying to play a chord, some note always got stuck - isn't it a note-off-problem, when thay are left ringing? I used my old Roland JV-80, it has always worked according to MIDI specs before...

Aouch.... no....
You should have 2*5mm and 4*10mm...
5mm are supposed to be under the LCD, the 2 LCD screws should go through the two 5mm spacers.
The 10mm are  the ones to separate the PCB from the blue surface control.
If I tried that, LCD pins would bend VERY much. The short screws were too short and the long ones seemed quite long. A few washers helped.

Well, it is okay now, and works. I have to try, are the notes still left ringing with 1.61. Will tell you later.

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
Here's how mine looks. At first I thought that the recessed LCD portion was mis-aligned, and the natural candidate for suspicion was the 5mm spacers. But now that everything is together I like it - it looks good.

My noobish rush to complete meant that there were a few loose solder joins - noticeable by noise when turning the knobs.
So I stripped it down and went over it again, paying special attention to the LCD pins. I digress to say I think I may have a natural knack for soldering  ;)

Anyway there was still some noise burst when touching the right side, so I started gently tapping each component in turn to see where the loose solder joint was. It turned out (after much tapping) that one of the chips wasn't fully seated. It must have come loose when manhandling the unit.
With that in place I now feel it will last.

I also flashed to 1.61 without problems, benefiting again from the clear instructions. This solved the stuck notes for me, and I've been playing for about 30 minutes now without any problems.

Very pleased with the result.  :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:05:20 PM by stimresp »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »

Thanks for the pictures....   :D
This is exactly how the LCD should be, the goal is to have a more confortable angle of vision when the PreenFM is on your desk.

I'm glad most of the problem seems to be fixed.

Istran, let me know if you still have stuck notes...

Xavier

istran

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 12:16:22 AM »

Istran, let me know if you still have stuck notes...
Xavier

Actually no, 1.61 seemed to work that out just nicely - or then the fact that I now use a Motif 7 as a keyboard :)

My LCD is in a bit different angle because of the washers, but it works well. Might send a pic one day.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
Actually no, 1.61 seemed to work that out just nicely - or then the fact that I now use a Motif 7 as a keyboard :)

Great  :D

6581punk

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
Finished my Preen earlier. Worked first time. I've built quite a lot of stuff recently and it was a nice easy build compared to the filter boards for the Shruthi-1 I've been doing.

Sounds even better than I had hoped for, so simple to program too.

The only thing I would change is the pots, encoders and tactile switch holes. They don't really snap in place like they should. But that's just nit picking.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »

Congrats... but i agree it's much more easy than the shruthi-1 filter board (that i've still haven't finished....  ::) )
I'm glad you like the sound and you enjoy its programming simplicity  :D

You would change the holes ? You mean the encoders and buttons are not in the middle of the holes ?
If that's the case, you can adjust a little the PCB position and the top blue surface before tightening the 4 screws.

Xavier

6581punk

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »
The positioning is fine. What I mean is the switches and encoders usually clip into the PCB and are held in place with the springy legs. You can then just solder them without them moving.

With the encoders I just bent the side tabs until they gripped, with the switches I bent the tabs over to stop them moving.

It's not a big deal really :)

I've got a SSM2044 Shruthi-1 and a Polivoks one. The SMR4 board is connected to the Sidekick board for weird and wonderful noises. I built up a MIDIPal tonight.Surface mount is a pain :)

Do you have any plans for any future devices? physical modelling is rather neglected ;)

I also thing the LA synthesis of the D50 is due for some sort of revival. Having sampled note starts with synthesis sustain or a mixture.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:23:21 PM by 6581punk »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
Do you have any plans for any future devices? physical modelling is rather neglected ;)

No real plans for the moment.

Physical modelling would be very interesting. But it requires lots of processing...
More than a cortex-M3 could provide.

Xavier

6581punk

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
Okay :) well I'm more than happy with the FM sounds.

I guess you would need some DSP grunt to do more complex things.