Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 20440 times)

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
Feature Requests
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
Hi Xavier,

I only just saw your Facebook page. What a nice surprise we have coming!

I also gather that you are working on a firmware update. I don't know if there's a protocol for feature requests (I suppose I should be hacking my own) so sorry if I overstep the mark, but if possible:

- Note number as matrix modulation source (keytracking). This would be very useful, for example, when applied to modulation index, as a way to allow smoother changes across the keyboard. I think this is a very useful feature on an FM synth.

- Is it possible to give the envelope (LFO4) greater range over pitch, or even a separate pitch envelope? More envelopes are always good :)

Thanks for your consideration,
Stim

:)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »

I like very much the first suggestion... moreover it's very easy to implement...  ;)
I will add it.

Not sure i understand the second one.. when you set the LFO4 in the matrix, set the mulitplier to 127 and the destination to "all osc freq", you don't have enough pitch change... that's what you mean ?

Xavier

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »

I like very much the first suggestion... moreover it's very easy to implement...  ;)
I will add it.

Superb! Thank you so much :)

Not sure i understand the second one.. when you set the LFO4 in the matrix, set the mulitplier to 127 and the destination to "all osc freq", you don't have enough pitch change... that's what you mean ?

Yes, I can only seem to get a 1octave pitch drop. Can this be bumped up to 2 or 3 octaves? Just a thought, no big issue.

Thanks again!

Ryan

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
I've just started with it so I might be missing it someplace, but could the lfos and sequencers be made to not retrigger with each note? The sequencers might be tougher as the start point would need to be syncable, but the lfos should be easy enough. :)

cheers!

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
I've just started with it so I might be missing it someplace, but could the lfos and sequencers be made to not retrigger with each note? The sequencers might be tougher as the start point would need to be syncable, but the lfos should be easy enough. :)

cheers!

Hi,

You should play with the KSyn parameter in the LFO 1-3 screens. At 0 the LFOs are free-running.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »

cheers!

Hi,

You should play with the KSyn parameter in the LFO 1-3 screens. At 0 the LFOs are free-running.

Right for LFO 1-3  ;)
For the step sequencers all the "MidiClock" values that you'll find after 240 BPM makes the sequence synced with external midi clock. So it's not retriggered with each notes.

Xavier

Ryan

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »
oh ok I figured there was stuff I hadn't figured out yet :)

So what do values higher than 0 do for KSyn?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
"KSyn:
Key synchronisation.
0 : the lfo live on its own... and is never modified by any event.
1- 255 : the lfo reset when a key is pressed. Betwen 1 and 255 the value represent the ramp up of the LFO. At 255 it will take to the LFO 4 seconds to reach is min and max value. Usefull if you want a "vibrato" that takes time to arrive."

Extract from https://sites.google.com/site/preenfm/manual/synth-edit-mode    ;)

Xavier

Ryan

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »
ah ok thanks. :) I think that was the most polite RTFM I've ever gotten :D

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
Hi Xavier,

I'm coming back with another cheeky, but hopefully minor, feature request  ;D

Inspired by my success in building my Preen unit, I've been getting jiggy with the soldering iron and have fixed-up some old broken gear. I've re-animated a dead Ensoniq DP/Pro, and breathed new life into a neglected Novation KS4 that I've pimped and am now using as a controller. I have the Preen sitting on top of the KS and it is being controlled directly, with the audio going through the KS filters and out to the DP/Pro. Sounds lovely.

Anyway, I have a  small problem with this setup. The KS4 has fixed cc assignments that differ from this of the Preen, so when I turn the filter cutoff, for example, it also affects a parameter in Preen and I can hear the changes.

I don't need to control Preen with controller messages from the KS4, so I turn off the receive cc option in the Preen Config screen. The only problem with this is that is seems to block aftertouch and modwheel also (pitchwheel is ok). I tend to use these in all my patches.

Therefore, is it possible to provide another MIDI config 'Receives' option to specify 'none' except for the performance controllers?

8)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »

Hi stimresp,

Thanks for the pictures. I like the blue of the PreenFM on this big steel keyboard.  :D
I thing that aftertouch was also passing because it's not a CC, but modwheel was definitely blocked.

Try the last firmware : 1.62.B1
http://xhosxe.free.fr/PreenFM/firmware/BETA/
The "Receives : None" option now let 4 CC passes thru :
. modwheel
. bank change
. all note off
. all sound off
It's note really a "none" but i think it's not a big deal and can be usefull as it is in your case.

Xavier

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »

Hi stimresp,

Thanks for the pictures. I like the blue of the PreenFM on this big steel keyboard.  :D
I thing that aftertouch was also passing because it's not a CC, but modwheel was definitely blocked.

Thanks - these actually do make a good pair. Whilst I never liked the Novation Sound, I'm finding that layering with the Preen is giving me some lovely textures. The Preen fits perfectly on top and will stay there. I think the combination is a new instrument unto itself :)

I must check the Aftertouch...

Try the last firmware : 1.62.B1

I will do and report back.

Thanks again Xavier.

Ryan

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
I bet you could also setup the novation to not send CC messages??

stimresp

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
I bet you could also setup the novation to not send CC messages??

True, but I intend also to use it to control another synth on a different channel - and I will need to CC for that.

It's solved now anyway - the latest beta firmware lets the modwheel through when cc reception is off.
Aftertouch wasn't getting through because the KS4 is not transmitting it  :-[

Also, Xavier thank you for the keytracking - it is fantastic!
I've only yet tried attaching it to the Modulation Indices and then modulating the keytracking amounts for some crazy sweeps. This should allow me to make some nice playable EP patches now. Excellent :)

In the short time I had, I did not notice any bugs or glitches - it all seems to be working fine. I'll spend time on it tonight.

Thanks again Xavier.

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
This looks like the correct thread to add some requests / ideas to :)
1. I would like to be able to assign Matrix destinations to the envelope attacks.  It works well when assigned to velocity for 'pluck' type sounds.
2. It would be cool if the encoders could be used in realtime to tweak assigned parameters.  ie.  Maybe, in the patch load screen where the 2nd 3rd and 4th encoders are unused,  it would be great if they were assigned to CC2, CC3 and CC4.

3. I could not find the sysex messages for requesting and dumping patches.  Could you share them?

thanks! :)  Martin.