Author Topic: [Resolved in 2.05B4] stuck note! was: aftertouch bug? (or general modulation)  (Read 13835 times)

lokki

• View Profile
hi there,

when i modulate im* via aftertouch, after a while i can hear a zippering noise from the preenfm2 even when i don't play a note. applying aftertouch without hitting a note (yes i can do that with my controller) varies that noise. at that point also my modulation wheel (set to op* freq in the matrix) is able to change this noise...

has anyone seen/heard this behaviour? i'm on 2.03. this only happens after a while of playing and after extensive use of aftertouch (a lot of data).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:40:24 PM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
Re: aftertouch bug? (or general modulation)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 09:57:39 AM »
ok, getting a little further. it seems to be a very low stuck note. when i adjust gliding in a monophonic patch, every note glides from below. i disabled aftertouch on the controller and it is still happening. so i am now thinking it is more a very fast run of notes that somehow triggers this low note. if i send a note off from ableton live with c-2 value (midi note 0)  the problem disappears. will look further into this issue. maybe it is my controller that is somehow sending note 0 values, but i doubt it.

lokki

• View Profile
Re: stuck note! was: aftertouch bug? (or general modulation)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 10:33:01 AM »
just writing down my findings, sorry for all the messages.

i tried the same controller with a waldorf pulse and i cannot get any stuck notes from it. so it seems to be an issue with the preenfm. xavier, can you see any reason how very fast runs of notes could get a stuck note with midi pitch 0? i never send a value 0, but when i send a note off with pitch 0 from ableton, the note is released correctly, so it must be midi note 0 that is stuck...

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »
and the last message :-)

i can confirm this happens with ableton live sending notes to preenfm2 as well! i created a fast run of notes (multiple times the same note, and also different notes) and when i send it to preenfm2 over usb, i get the same stuck note 0. the notes have to be pretty short to trigger the behaviour. so it could also be that only very short notes trigger the fault.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:17:02 PM by lokki »

kuzma_p

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »
I can test it with octatrack and renoise but i will be able to do this only since next sunday.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
would be highly appreciated! this makes me crazy...

clément

• Team Member
    • View Profile
    • http://clementmarion.be
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »
Hi lokki,

I'm not giving much help here, but I can tell you the exact thing happened to me several times, as you describe it in your first post.
I can't remember in which conditions though...

Just to let you know this might not be an isolated bug ;)

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 10:27:29 PM »
thanks clément, this is good to hear! so it seems i am not going crazy. as i wrote in my 2nd post i think the source is fast played note runs very staccato and on the same note. at  some point the lowest midi note possible (which i never played) gets stuck. if one sets voices to 1 and glide to some amount, every note will glide from below, also a sign of that stuck note. sending a note off for that note (midi note 0) releases the note again. but eventually it happens again. i want to use the preenfm with a midi bass controller (4 channels) and like this it is not useable for live use...so let's hope xavier can fix this.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »

I'll definitely have a look, but not immediately.
My family and I just moved outside Paris and we'll go away a few week.
Best,
Xavier

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »
no problem. have a nice holiday! enjoy your family time. if it helps, here is a midi file attached, that triggers the problem sometimes, just play it in a daw with midi output set to preenfm, maybe you have to play it twice or three times, but at some point you will get the low stuck note. play it at 120bpm

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
xavier i ran some more tests, and it does also happen when i set voices to more then one on a channel, but it is not so obvious because there is no gliding then and the noise is much quieter because the stuck voice is only a portion of the whole channel sound. so for best reproducibility try with a mono patch.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 10:09:15 PM »

I played more than ten times your midi file under Linux and in 2 windows DAWs without being able to reproduce.
What firmware do you use ? Overclocked ?
What sequencer/DAW do you use ?
Do you play the midifile directly to the preenfm2 USB ?
If you use the midi jack, what midi interface do you have ?

Last question, does it happen with any preset ?

Thanks

Xavier

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
i am on osx 10.11 , playing the midi file directly to the preenfm usb via ableton live.
but it also happens with my midi controller (without any computer involved, direct midi-din connection)
i therefore don't think it is a daw specific issue. note that most daws (e.g. ableton live) send an all note off event when you stop the clip.
so it may be hard to hear. (best to make the clip longer and let it run some more after the last note has played)
i use the overclocked firmware 2.03o but i tried the non overclocked version 2.03 as well and it still happens.

my midi controller works fine with multiple other hardware and software synths, so i can rule that out as well.

i use the preenfm in multitimbral mode, all 4 channels have loaded the same preset, because my controller sends on 4 channels, it is much like a bass guitar, but midi. presets are all mono. i have tried a bunch of the dx7 presets, i'm sure it happens on the first preset from the dx7 set, i just adjusted it to be mono, with some glide and aftertouch going to im*. i then loaded this preset into all four instrument slots. not all channels get stuck at the same time, if i just play on one channel, only that one will have a stuck note, so there is no crosstalk or something... my preenfm2 is not at my home atm, so i cannot check if it happens with all presets but i am sure it was more then one.

thanks for looking into it. would it help if i post the exact settings of a sound where it happens?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:21:03 PM by lokki »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 11:23:22 PM »

Thanks, i'll try with my macbook tomorrow.
I don't think it's a DAW or a controller problem, i'm sure it's a preenfm2 problem.
But i think some DAW or midi interface can filter some fast midi data before the preenfm2 got them although some others just pass them through and make the preenfm2 play those wrong note.

Xavier

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 08:51:25 AM »
i will try to reproduce the problem with a puredata patch on linux and osx, do you know puredata (http://msp.ucsd.edu/software.html)? if so i could share the patch and you can try it on your linux machine as well.