Author Topic: Raystar oled : Screen Issue - what I am doing wrong?  (Read 17728 times)

lokki

• View Profile
Re: Raystar oled : Screen Issue - what I am doing wrong?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 10:43:14 AM »
oh, the case is not grounded? that could very well be the issue then. let's hope it is as easy as adding a ground connection to the case.

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
For the bottom part. It would be possible to have Ground through the MIDI OUT connector.
With the TOP part. I will have to figure something out. The powderpaint is isolating everything.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »
well scratch that  ;D

let's first see if this is indeed the issue.

SoundRider

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Screen Issue - what I am doing wrong?
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »
Xavier's note : Aouch..... Sorry SoundRider i edited you message instead of replying  :-\
Could only restore the following :

------
May I ask a question ... can the screen error have a correlation to the use of the encoders? I had the screen issue only during twiddling the knobs. I had the PreenFM2 run for many hours - doing some burn-in like testing - never had the screen failure.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:23:46 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
May I ask a question ... can the screen error have a correlation to the use of the encoders? I had the screen issue only during twiddling the knobs. I had the PreenFM2 run for many hours - doing some burn-in like testing - never had the screen failure.

If you don't turn any knob, the display activity is limited to note on/off.
When you turn knobs, the display receive much more data to deal with. There's so more possibilities of a corrupted data.

For the reminder, only one corrupted data can turn the display in a broken state until you reboot.

SoundRider

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 11:13:25 PM »
I understand this, but why do I observe that the encoders move - but the values as well as the sound don't change as usual. The encoders require many more degrees of turning until a value changes ... if this makes any sense.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
I understand this, but why do I observe that the encoders move - but the values as well as the sound don't change as usual. The encoders require many more degrees of turning until a value changes ... if this makes any sense.

This happens under heavy load on all preenfm.
When the preenfm2 plays 8 voices of 6 op algo, there's not much CPU left for the display driver which refresh slower, and for the encoder driver which does not poll the encoder values fast enough.

The overclocked firmware has a slighty higher sample rate AND has a little more CPU left for display and encoder in heavy load situation.
If you don't use it aldready, give it a try.

SoundRider

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:14 PM »
Yep, I will check what OS I use ... could be the standard speed. Will give it a try ... thanks for your advice  :)

tubeohm

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »
Hi ,  one thinhg, , i found here that  the Preen - powerd by USB  is not good .
I have on my USB power from the PC spikes and digital noise . This  so heavy that you hear it into the sound .
 This i had also by some clients. After changing from USP power to a separate Power supply  - all is OK .

So i switch the preen to a separate power supply. And the noise is away .
 I think this spikes can go also direct into the OLED and the result can be that  the OLED hangs .  It is a MAYBE - not a must 
 but i will test it on my next build and let you know .
Greets
 Andre'

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 02:43:10 PM »
the noise is to be expected with usb power from a pc i think. at least i know this problem from many usb powered devices. switching to a dedicated psu is always a good idea. the original problem seems to persist though even with a dedicated usb power supply, with no pc in the chain, so we can rule the pc out.

@soundrider: did you try with a 9v power supply? are there still display problems then?

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »
I can say for sure. Its not psu related. I have tried with many psus. Even a linear transformer based regulated psu will have this issue.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2016, 07:42:56 PM »
sorry, yes you wrote that before... 8)