Author Topic: [Added in 2.05] Breathing..  (Read 8986 times)

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
[Added in 2.05] Breathing..
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
Hello there..
Any possibility to have PreenFM2 responding to breath controller midi messages ??
I guess it's not harder to implement, than the mod wheel..
Is it possible to have it implemented so that it would appear as one source in the modulation matrix ??
I suppose, but maybe I'm wrong, that it should be as simple as duplicating the line corresponding to the mod wheel, and then replace the mod wheel identification code, by the breath controller identification code..
Then probably one line to add, so that it's visible in the matrix ??
Is it possible ??
Friendly..
Thierry

"Only the fools blew it,
You and me knew life itself is
Breathing
Breathing..
Oooh life is..... breathing.."

(Kate Bush)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:29:41 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Breathing..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »
Yes, that would be interesting.
Is it always using CC 2 ?

What breath controller do you have ?
I used to have a yamaha wx5, and i miss it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:51:36 PM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »
xavier, cc2 is used almost exclusively for breath controllers, but like cc1 (general modulation) you can use it for other things.

so on some controllers today cc2 is used as a second modulator, since breath controllers are not that widely used anymore

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »

OK thanks.
So adding a "Brea" (CC2) matrix source sounds like a good idea.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 10:05:06 PM »
yeah, but i would name it Brth  ;) but that is personal preference  8)

actually i started implementing it, but i had to give up, since i have to watch the kids the whole week :) it will be interesting to see how you did it, once you push it to github.

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
Hello there..
Sorry.. I did not check the forum for a while, and thus didn't see there were answers..
For now, I have a Yamaha BC1 and also a Yamaha BC2..  Sure they are not young.. But doesn't BC mean Before Christ, after all ??
So.. Of course, in my case, implementing the control would not be enough, I would have to find some circuitry able to convert the analog data, into midi data..
They both are just resistor reacting on pressure..
CC2 ?? It's ok for me.. But is there not a midi code special to this control, anterior to CC numbers ??
According to my experience, breath controllers are of some interest on analog synths.. But much more powerful with FM synthesis..

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:44:57 PM »
cc2 is standard for breath controller, see here:

https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2

as for the analog to midi conversion of your breath-controller, it would be simplest to just use an arduino that reads the analog voltage and convert that to cc2 midi messages. if it really is just a resistor reacting to pressure, you can create a voltage divider with one fixed resistor and your breath controller and feed it 5v from the arduino on one side and ground on the other. you hook up an analog input to the middle point of the two resistors and you read that value into the arduino. it is then simple to send midi from the arduino to the preenfm2...what is your other equipment controlling the preenfm? a keyboard? has it midi in and out?

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:15:51 PM »
Well.. For now my PreenFM is still not built, not even bought.. I'm waiting for an available kit.. Soon, I assume..
I have a 4 octave keyboard (evolution 49), it comes with 17 pots.. It has midi and USB outputs.. No input.. I also have a Roland D10 and an Ensoniq ESQ1..
What I know about the Yamaha BC1 and 2 is that they are not only the pressure-depending resistor, but also a few components.. They both using stereo mini jacks.. 1 pin is for -V,  1 pin is for ground.. The last pin is the value.. In fact, what you describe is, I assume, already built inside the BC..
But then the "value" pin is a negative one, and might need being inverted..
I've read, on a forum, that I could as well plug the ground pin to +V and the -V pin to ground, it would work..
Not sure, though..
In fact, I believe it true, except that I'm afraid for the eventual ICs.. Would they accept it ?? Nu stiu.. No lo se.. Ich weiss nicht.. Je ne sais pas.. Mi ne scias..

But ok for CC2..

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
http://www.chuckwhite.com/windmachine.html

maybe you can also get one of these cheap.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 09:34:49 PM »

If you can choose your CC, choose 115, 116, 117 or 118..
That will control preformance values which are accessible as a matrix source (P1-P4) .

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »
Thanx Lokki, & merci Xavier..
But still, implementing the breath controller as standard CC2 would be a better option, in terms of compatibility..

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 10:26:24 PM »
Thanx Lokki, & merci Xavier..
But still, implementing the breath controller as standard CC2 would be a better option, in terms of compatibility..

I agree. And it was quite quick to add  ;)
https://github.com/Ixox/preenFM2/commit/71f794897f5249702e09899ec4c37062237d5798

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:05:40 PM by Xavier »

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: [Added in 2.05] Breathing..
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »
Yeah !! Thanx Xavier..
Now, I will have to find or build a midi keyboard with BC.. Or try to convert an existing one..