Author Topic: Custom algorithms  (Read 4218 times)

djencode

• Team member
    • View Profile
Custom algorithms
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:33:39 PM »
Could it be possible to have a section for custom algorithms. They could either be created externally and entered under a special "user" alg, or perhaps a routing section? It would be cool to experiment with cross modulation and other such things.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Custom algorithms
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:10:25 PM »
Hi,

Would be an interesting project...
But don't expect the same polyphony with not hardcoded algo.

I think to experiment the easiest way is to add you own algos in the code :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenFM2/blob/master/src/synth/Voice.cpp#L291
Even witout coding knowledge, look at each algo structure, with some copy&past, that could work.  :)

Best,

Xavier

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »
Hello there..
Talking about algorithms..  I cant see no "feedback" setting,  anywhere,  on the editor,   or on the algorithms page on ixox.fr..
When I had my DX9,  feedback's range could be set between 0 and 7.. I didnt find any change  from 0 to 5, but it was often useful to set it to 6 or 7..
Now, I use the FM synth on Caustic,  and I love it..  The feedback setting  is a continuous (virtual)  pot..  Same,  the difference is not so important,  that it would need such acuracy..
But still,  this setting. can be useful,  when set to max,  especially when you use only 3-4 operators..
My wonder is.. How did you manage to convert DX7 sounds, those who need this feedback setting set to 7? Do they sound similar anyway,  even without feedback at all ??
It's not so important,  though..  I was just wondering..
Have a nice evening..  Or morning..  Or night..
Thierry

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:54:16 AM »
feedback is not implemented in preenfm2

djencode

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »
Hello there..
Talking about algorithms..  I cant see no "feedback" setting,  anywhere,  on the editor,   or on the algorithms page on ixox.fr..
When I had my DX9,  feedback's range could be set between 0 and 7.. I didnt find any change  from 0 to 5, but it was often useful to set it to 6 or 7..
Now, I use the FM synth on Caustic,  and I love it..  The feedback setting  is a continuous (virtual)  pot..  Same,  the difference is not so important,  that it would need such acuracy..
But still,  this setting. can be useful,  when set to max,  especially when you use only 3-4 operators..
My wonder is.. How did you manage to convert DX7 sounds, those who need this feedback setting set to 7? Do they sound similar anyway,  even without feedback at all ??
It's not so important,  though..  I was just wondering..
Have a nice evening..  Or morning..  Or night..
Thierry

The DX7 patch loading isn't a direct translation since there is no feedback in the preenfm2. The reason, I'm told for the lack of feedback is the main goal of feedback was to get noise or sawtooth like waveforms out of the operator, which we can just do by using a custom waveform.

What I'm curious about is if it shows feedback, is there a way to convert so the operator in question automatically loads as a noise or sawtooth for the waveform? That would be cool I think :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:37:36 AM »
The DX7 patch loading isn't a direct translation since there is no feedback in the preenfm2.

And because the internal structure and parameters) of the preenfm2 are totally different from the DX7.

The reason, I'm told for the lack of feedback is the main goal of feedback was to get noise or sawtooth like waveforms out of the operator, which we can just do by using a custom waveform.

That's the main idea. And you can even upload your own waveform now.
(It wouldn't be hard to implement, but the problem is that as the CPU is full at full polyphony, so that would require to lower polyphony or sampling rate).
I thought at some point about adding a new algo with 5 operators and a feedback.

What I'm curious about is if it shows feedback, is there a way to convert so the operator in question automatically loads as a noise or sawtooth for the waveform? That would be cool I think :)

That's done already, feedback > 4, SAW is used  ;)
https://github.com/Ixox/preenFM2/blob/master/src/utils/Hexter.cpp#L549