Author Topic: STM32F7 series? (or adding delay to the FX section)  (Read 4004 times)

o0

• Team member
    • View Profile
STM32F7 series? (or adding delay to the FX section)
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »
Xavier, and plans to move to the STM32F7 series? Since it sounds you're already maxing out the CPU on the Cortex M-4. I would love to see delay based effects ( reverb would be nice, but probably too much to ask without a dedicated DSP). Since the PreenFM2 is multi-timbral, I find it challenging to layer outboard effects on it, since I would want add a delay to I1, a bit of stereo imaging to I2 and nothing to I3-I4 for example. I've played with the idea of using L/R output as a Dry/SendFX level instead, and use panning to control the amount of effect instead of the stereo position, but that's also a trade-off and only allows for a single effect.

The PreenFM2 is sitting next to the MicroMonsta, and the FX section really allows the sound to expand on that little synth. I would love to see a similar approach added to the Preen.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: STM32F7 series? (or adding delay to the FX section)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:14:24 PM »
The preenfm2 firmware uses the Standard Peripheral Libraries by ST, and  many parts would require to be rewritten to work with the  STM32F7 :
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SPLReinstatement 

Substractive synth requires FX as the base of their synthesis.
That's not the case of FM synths  ;)
The FX section of the preenfm2 have been added rather late in its life.

A delay would requires memory which the stm32F* don't have.

I admit a preenfm2 with 4 different outputs would be better  :)

djencode

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: STM32F7 series? (or adding delay to the FX section)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:48:22 AM »
The preenfm2 firmware uses the Standard Peripheral Libraries by ST, and  many parts would require to be rewritten to work with the  STM32F7 :
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SPLReinstatement 

Substractive synth requires FX as the base of their synthesis.
That's not the case of FM synths  ;)
The FX section of the preenfm2 have been added rather late in its life.

A delay would requires memory which the stm32F* don't have.

I admit a preenfm2 with 4 different outputs would be better  :)

What I would like to see for a DSP upgrade is so that preenfm2 could run at 24bit/48khz. Maybe in a future update make it so you can sacrifice multi timbrality (like cutting 1 or two of them) to increase the bit depth and sample rate.