Author Topic: [Resolved] Issue with Encoder  (Read 4064 times)

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Issue with Encoder
« on: February 17, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
I am having issues with the third encoder highlighted in red in my attachment.  It's constantly jumpy.  If I move it to increase a value, sometimes it counts up in random increments and sometimes it decreases in value (even though I am turning the knob clockwise).  Then if I use it to turn counterclockwise or to decrease a value, it still goes down but when I stop twisting the knob it it shoots right up to the maximum value without me touching the knob.  All of my other encoders work fine and there are no issues with them. 

I initially thought it was an issue with the specific encoder, so I ordered a new one from mouser.  These ones do not have the two feet on the backside (highlighted in green), yet they are still acting the same way.  I cleaned my entire board with isopropyl alcohol and ensured solid connections with both this encoder and the initial one.  What is wrong???  Very anxious to get this synth up and running yet keep running into issues.  Please help me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:50:03 AM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with Encoder
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
Hi, 
Sorry i have a super limited internet access until next sunday.
Double check the soldering points of the 2 '9 pins network resistors'  just above the encoders.

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
Attached is what it looks like.  I guess it could use a Isopropyl scrub but all of the connections look clean to me on both sides of the PCB.  Their orientation is correct as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »
Hi,

I attached a schema of the tracks you should follow for this encoder.
Double check and resolder (re-melt) those 6 points (green and orange) + GND point of the encoder (middle pin of the 3).

If it still does not work :
- check those connections from the solder point to the 74HC165 pins.
- try to swap the 2 74HC165 to verify one is not faulty.

Let me know,

Xavier

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 06:26:58 AM »
Thanks for the schema Xavier, it really helped pinpoint the issue!  It was definitely a point on one of those signal paths that I forgot to solder....haha ugh.....

Finally up and running great!  Also perfected creating a waveform out of my voice (trying to tap into the formant wavetable vibe).  Excited to access the power of this synth, thanks so much again Xavier!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:38:30 AM by kylelandstra »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
Cool  :D
Thanks for the update.