Author Topic: [Resolved] PreenFM2 will not turn on  (Read 4983 times)

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
[Resolved] PreenFM2 will not turn on
« on: February 09, 2017, 01:53:49 AM »
Attached is a photo of my board.  Before I put my board in the case, I wanted to make sure everything worked first.  I then found out that it is currently not turning on through USB or wall wart.  When plugging in via USB I did not see the preenfm USB stick show up as a device which I think would nullify the issue of my screen not working.  Is anything missing that is glaringly obvious? 

The USB stick has the correct designated filepath.  All connections seem strong.  I went through the build steps again and the only thing I can think of is that the P1 and P3 must be connected.  The 330nF decoupling capacitor and the 1nF plastic capacitors all look different than in the build pictures as I got the kit from Van Daal. The 330nF has 334 printed on the side and I assumed that was ok. The Jmp3 is not connected.  Also the 5V GND and and USB square (near the 7805) are not connected.  From the FAQ it said P3 was optional and I assumed that since I had no intention of using the st-link v2 debugger, P1 would be optional as well and instructions didn't mention the 5V GND or the USB headers.  Am I wrong?  Should the preenF405/CERB40 chip have no exposed metal and completely inserted into its holder?  I can't seem to push it in completely.  Also no LED lights were connected since I am using the metal case and won't be able to see them.  So I am not sure if any of these items are required for me to be able to power the device on.  Help would be much appreciated, excited to get this synth rolling!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:03:56 PM by Xavier »

pauto

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM2 will not turn on
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
As far as I know, Jumper 1 and 2 should be closed, but it might be another problem, no expert in here.

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
Yeah Jumper 1 and 2 are both populated with 2 pin headers.

pauto

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
But you need to close those headers with a small piece that should be on the packaging making connection between the 2 pins, that you soldered them it does not mean they are closed.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/-/a-1324.jpg

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »
Oh wow, no way!!!  I saw those caps in the bags but didn't realize they were necessary.  I guess the build steps only showed the caps on in the last photo without much mention of it.  Awesome, thanks Pauto, I hope this works!!!

pauto

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
newbie helping newbie  ;D hope is just that and you can start enjoying that preen, in any case I followed the build instructions step by step and had no problems, already build three units. If it does not work check the building instructions again and try to find any thing you could have missed and check that every diode and cap is in the right position regardind positive and negative.

Good luck!!

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
Thanks Pauto!  Yes, I have confirmed the diodes are positioned correctly.  Will see what else happens!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:42:02 AM »
Thanks pauto for helping. 
Jmp1 and jmp2 definetely need to be closed.  Or no current powers the preen.

kylelandstra

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 03:47:00 AM »
Yup, that was the fix.  DIY electronics newbie mistake, thanks Pauto and Xavier.  It's up and running now.   :)