Author Topic: A higher polyphony ??  (Read 3418 times)

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
A higher polyphony ??
« on: May 13, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »
Hello there.. And most of all, hello Xavier.. Because this message is mainly for you..

Let's say that the subject will be : would it be possible to make a version of PreenFM2, with a bigger polyphony, by using a pair of Preenf405, one would be the master, and the other would simply be the slave ??

I know that the PCB is not made for it.. But we can probably imagine that, instead of placing the Preenf405 board in the IC support, we could use headers, and connect a second PCB which would hold both Preens..

My old Ensoniq ESQ'1 has a "overflow" option, in its MIDI menu, which allows driving a second ESQ'1 (or a ESQ'M expander) when the number of midi notes received, exceeds it's own polyphony (8 notes)..

The master Preen would then have to send exceeding notes to the slave, and performance control like pitch bend, mod wheel etc.. In fact a full bunch of incoming midi messages.. But not only ; it would also have to send all the preset (or combo) parameters, so that both play the same preset or combo..
The slave would be totally hidden, the user would not have access to it : it would only be there to obey to the master..

Each preset or combo that we would save in the master, would be saved identically in the slave's memory, same preset or combo number..

In terms of price, what would it cost ? Of course, an added PCB, and a second Preen.. What else should be doubled ?
What else should be added ?? I think that there would need a mixer.. Possibly digital mixer, or analog, but prior to the final stage, so that we can use the volume knob to set the volume of the mix..

I know, Xavier, that your time is not infinite.. You have a life to live, and you once said that you would like to have time to play your music.. I understand this very well, and I can just approve you..
And in fact, except me, I don't know how many people would be interested in having a more polyphonic version..
I'm just wishing that I could have a "wider" preenFM, (mainly for electric pianos, in fact) and by this message, I'm opening the topic, for discussion.. But if you say "no way", or "no time", or "too complicated", and even "useless when it concerns only you", then I would fully understand and abandon my wish..

Have a good week end..
Thierry

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A higher polyphony ??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »

What you describe is of course possible, but it's a LOT of work.
No i won't work on that  ;)

You can chain 2 preenfm2. But they'll have to play different instrument.
Polyphony on one instrument cannot be expanded.

Xavier

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: A higher polyphony ??
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
No worry Xavier..
I understand..
Have a nice day..
Thierry