Author Topic: 2 filters in parallel  (Read 4789 times)

lokki

• View Profile
2 filters in parallel
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »
hi xavier,

would it be possible (codesizewise) to have two filters in parallel (not serial) at the output stage? the second one could just be fixed to bandpass mode. if you set first filter to lowpass and second to bandpass you can get formant vowel sounds, which work well with fm sounds.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2 filters in parallel
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
Hi,

That would require some changes, but why not..
The FX are implemented here :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm2/blob/master/src/synth/Timbre.cpp#L491

A solution that should work without modification, is to have all instruments with same preset and listening to the same midi channel.
Set a different filter for each instrument.
You'll get 4 filters in parallel, but with limited polyphony.

Xavier

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2 filters in parallel
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
Hi again Lokki and Xavier and the rest of the world..

Concerning the existing filter, and especially in "bandpass" mode, I believe it would be very good to have a "direct volume", or "dry volume" control.. Or a balance "dry/wet" so that we could mix part . well why should I explain, you understood why..

When I use the FMsynth on Caustic, with an electric piano preset, I often add one or more "multifilter" in "Band Isolate" mode, which is a band pass+dry filter, the "Gain" button being in fact a mixer/balance..

The filter in Preenfm2 is a presently 3 parameter module, so there is one vacant place on the display, and one vacant encoder, which could be used for this purpose..

Have a nice day..
Thierry