Author Topic: reset to default, waveform .txt, arpgeggiator toggle?  (Read 3980 times)

bravedog

• Team member
    • View Profile
reset to default, waveform .txt, arpgeggiator toggle?
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »
Hi, I should have my preenfm2 in a couple days [now have] and have been going through the manual before receiving it. I have a couple questions and apologize for my level of ignorance.

Arpeggiator:  I'd like to be able to turn arp function on and off while playing.  so I wonder if there is an Arp. on/off toggle, or is it necessary to navigate to the Edit>Arp menu to turn Arp. on and off?

Less important, I'm unclear on waveforms which can be imported as .txt files, speciifically if there's a freeware converter in which I could draw or import curves which would be converted into the proper format files for import into preen? OK thx!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:33:44 AM by bravedog »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: arpgeggiator toggle, waveform .txt?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Hi,

No arpeggiator toggle. You have to turn the encoder "Arpeggiator>Clk" To "Off".
If your keyboard has some programmable button you can send a NRPN message (0,28) to 0.
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/midi/

Some users had some success using Audacity to turn wav file into preenfm2 format :
http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=63539.0
There are some examples here :
http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=63505.msg65694#msg65694

Xavier

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:49:26 AM by Xavier »

bravedog

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: arpgeggiator toggle, waveform .txt?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
Thanks! Good references for waveform texts.

Got the Preen, excited especially about 8 voice polyphony with Scala scales!

Operator editing also looks novel and interesting.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:05:16 PM by bravedog »

bravedog

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: reset to default, waveform .txt, arpgeggiator toggle?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »
In Edit Manual beginning of section, it says hold down Menu button while turning knob to reset knob's parameter to its default value. But this doesn't happen for me; is this function still available using some other procedure though?
---------------
fwiw pdf on Algorithms page link is bad, though its link is good in the Downloads page; where however the DX7 banks link is dead. Also at top of Edit Manual section picture and description refer to LFO button though this is now relabeled MODS, and it's referred to that way later in the page. Hope this helps

opus.quatre

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: reset to default, waveform .txt, arpgeggiator toggle?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
About waveforms..
"Adventure Kid Waveforms (AKWF)

AKWF is a collection of one cycle waveforms sampled from various sources intended for use as oscillator shapes in samplers and synthesizers.

Length = 600 samples
Pitch = D1+2

You find them on-line at: http://www.adventurekid.se/AKRT"

600 samples per cycle is small, and is a good source of aliasing.. Maybe Audacity or any other wav editor can re-sample/filter them to 4096sample waves ??

But one has to remember that user waveforms are not saved with the preset.. Up to 6 user waveforms can be stored in the SF card, and then they are loaded when you power-on your Preenfm2..
If you make, for example,  a preset using userwaveform 1, and if you then delete or replace this userwaveform 1, then your preset will no more sound the same..

I don't know if anyone ever used any userwaveform for FMsynthesis, and I'm not sure that this feature is really imoprtant..

I can imagine you use the last algorythm ; 6 detuned carriers, each one using its own waveform, or all of them using the same waveform, and the individual envelopes would in fact make an evolving mix of them.. I would love this feature, but only with a bank of more than 6 userwaveforms, and filters, and filter envelopes.. In fact, a kind of Roland D20 or Ensoniq ESQ'1/SQ'80.. But that's not the purpose of the Preenfm2..
Have a nice time..
Thierry