Author Topic: (compatibility?) questions  (Read 5317 times)

lensflare

• Team member
    • View Profile
(compatibility?) questions
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »
Hi all,

I am new in the PREENFM world, and just waiting for Van Daal to deliver my brand new white PFM2.

actually, I am programming (fm) synthesis using a (limited) Volca FM.

now, I have just a few questions in order to be prepared when the new baby will arrive in my studio, to start programming quickly:

1) Oscillator amplitude: in the Volce there is a feature to apply an oscillator amplitude modulation (both on Carrier and Modulators) by LFO. is this feature or one similar also in PFM? if yes, which is the name? if not, there is a way to obtain the same result or will be possibily present in a future FW release?

2) Pitch modulation: the same as over: it is possible to modulate the pitch of the carriers  by LFO or by Envelope.
are these features or some similar also in PFM? if yes, which are the names? if not, there is a way to obtain the same result or will be possibily present in a future FW release?

3) which is in the EDITOR the feature "all OP freq harmonic" and its difference respect "all op freq"?

I tried to retrieve these informations in the various manuals, in the website, but unfortunately without success :(

thank you very much for the answers!!! and... EXCELLENT WORK with the PREENFM!!!!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: (compatibility?) questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:19:23 PM »
Hi,

1) You do that with the preenfm by modifying the MI (modulation indices) between operators.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_modulation#Modulation_index
For the carrier operator (lower level, their output is the sound) you modify the MIX parameters.

2) Use the matrix and targets the o[1-6]Fq params. They are the operator 1 to 6 frequency.
Use o*Fq for all at the same time.

3) They both modify the operator frequency. Harmonic is when you want the same number of semitone bellow and above the base frequency.
The other one exists for a longer amount of time in the preenfm2 and is a simpler frequency multipler so you won't have the same interval above and bellow the main frequency.
Harmonic is the typical one to use for pitch bend source.

Xavier

lensflare

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
Super, Xavier, thank you VERY much!

so, now it's only a matter to wait the beast to arrive in my studio.
i really cant wait, since the PREENFM is what I was waiting for, a compact, complete, user-friendly FM synth with 6 ops.
and, last but not least, with an EXQUISITE editor (I already surfed in the editor pages and menu, it's awesome in its simplicity).

have you heard about any dyi project to allow PREENFM working with batteries for more outdoor usability?

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »
simply get a powerpack that you normally use to charge smartphones etc. connect via usb to the preenfm and you should be portable. i have no idea how long the battery will last though :-)

lensflare

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks Lokki, I have just seen in the manual the possibility to feed the device by USB power line.
so, the solution is really easy!
I will report the battery duration when I will be able to test it ;)