Author Topic: Editor strange behaviour. Corrupt edit when pushing to FM2  (Read 4556 times)

element-s

• Team member
    • View Profile
Editor strange behaviour. Corrupt edit when pushing to FM2
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
Hi all,

have just been doing some editing on the 2.08.4 editor.

When pushing an edit to the Preen it often gets corrupt. I have noticed that it is if there is still a midi note in course. But even after the midi note event has died away then the editor behaves erratically when pushing to the FM2. I just lost an edit I had been working on. Bothe the editors version and the Preens current edit state have become corrupt. No sign of it visually but just in terms of the sound

Maybe for a future update, it would be great to be able to load and save directly into the editor from the DX sysex file. POssibly a big pain to implement, but trying to think of options in order to not loose work like this.

Any ideas? Many thanks

mbng

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Editor strange behaviour. Corrupt edit when pushing to FM2
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
I do not recall this bug specifically but it´s been a while since i used my PFM2 with the editor. I recall it being a little bit buggy, and sometimes i had trouble either getting the data from the editor to the device or the other way around. Usually i restart it all and this makes it go away long enough for me to be satisfied.
But still yeah it´s a bug alright, even if it´s a small one and easily fixed by myself.

element-s

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply. AT least I now know its not just me. Thanks for the restart tip. It is a tad frustrating though. Great editor!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »
Hi,

Do you use the standalone editor ? or plugin ?
What platform ?
Do you have reproducible steps ? Or a preset that fails..

To reset the preenfm2 audio when notes are stuck press : INST+MENU

Thanks,
Xavier

element-s

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »
Hi Xavier, it is the standalone. Tried on Mac Os X and it happens in Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra. MacPro and Macbook air.

USB conection only and no

Steps.

While editing any patch (loaded from DX7 or internal preset) sysex try to push the patch to the Preen and patch becomes corrupted. Often by re-pushing solves it or make it worse. It is random.  Other times it completely corrupts the patch and is irrecoverable rendering work unusable. I sounds like it alters the FM levels, envelopes possibly and modulation index. FM frequency ratios seem to be maintained ok.

I have noticed that if you are playing a midi keyboard or if there is a midi sequence coming in to the FM2 (to test the patch edit), the corruption can be worse. Sometimes by stopping the midi note and waiting for it to die away and then pushing again can resolve it. Maybe some weird MIDI loop going on?

thank you very much.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »

Thanks for the details.
Looks like the midi are sent too quickly to the preen and that it misses some bytes.

Out of curiosity, is the behaviour the same by using the midi DIN5 in/out ?

That won't solve the bug, but i'm wondering why you have to push the patch to the preenfm2 ?
Usage should be :
. Have a patch you want to edit on you preen
. Pull it to the editor
. Every editor (or preenfm2) modification should be propagated to the preenfm2 (or editor).

Xavier

element-s

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »
Ok, thank you. I will try with DIN MIDI.

I pushed because some edits didn't seem to happen. I will check this thoroughly this afternoon and get back.

many thanks, P

element-s

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
Hi Agin,

So, the input to the preen is via a Roland UM1 DIN USB midi interface.

The same behaviour is exibited, but I am wondering. I assume the "pull" button is to get the preset from the Preen? as the editor doesn't echo internal stored presets automatically. It seems it has to be sent to the editor?

Its almost like a "local on" feedback loop. Thats the nearest I can think of.

If I disconnect the Preens MIDI DIN output then the ditor behaviours and updates the Preen properly.