Author Topic: Alternate Voice Assign mode?  (Read 3972 times)

estragon

• Team member
    • View Profile
Alternate Voice Assign mode?
« on: October 07, 2018, 01:39:10 AM »
I was just reading this great interview with Mark Fell about his work with FM synthesis and this passage stood out:

For example, I had a Yamaha TX81Z, which uses four-operator FM synthesis and had a few quirks to it. There was this mode, which rather than being multitimbral was like a multitimbral setup, but every time you press the note to progress to the next sound in the series of sounds that you specify. So every time you played a note it could produce not just a series of notes but a series of sound changes as well. So I just did loads of work with that, setting up simple sequences of sound changes and note changes that would go in and out of phase and things. That became one of the kinds of techniques that I still use today.

Reading the manual for the TX81Z, this seems to be a reference to the Alternate Voice Assign mode that "allows you to play a different voice with each successive note". Would it be possible to have a function like this on the PreenFM, perhaps running through each patch in a combo when engaged?

stelpa

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Voice Assign mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »
I was just reading this great interview with Mark Fell about his work with FM synthesis and this passage stood out:

For example, I had a Yamaha TX81Z, which uses four-operator FM synthesis and had a few quirks to it. There was this mode, which rather than being multitimbral was like a multitimbral setup, but every time you press the note to progress to the next sound in the series of sounds that you specify. So every time you played a note it could produce not just a series of notes but a series of sound changes as well. So I just did loads of work with that, setting up simple sequences of sound changes and note changes that would go in and out of phase and things. That became one of the kinds of techniques that I still use today.

Reading the manual for the TX81Z, this seems to be a reference to the Alternate Voice Assign mode that "allows you to play a different voice with each successive note". Would it be possible to have a function like this on the PreenFM, perhaps running through each patch in a combo when engaged?

This would be amazing! Super on board, but would probably be a pain to implement (I imagine...)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 10:59:19 PM »

Sounds interesting, but would be more the role of a midi processor before reaching the preenfm.

Jalex

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »
Try to midibro

https://youtu.be/H8gk-iJGk4k

Midibro + nord drum 2