Author Topic: Pushing a saved state from editor to PreenFM2 freezes it! [Fixed in 2.09]  (Read 7972 times)

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hello Xavier and everybody,

I'm back to my PreenFM2 after a long hiatus with music.

I just spend a nice moment creating patches from scratch with the v2.08.4 editor (standalone on Mac OS X 10.11.6, with USB connection).
Here is my workflow : i create a patch, it's immediatly reflected on the PreenFM2 without problems, instead of saving on the PreenFM2, i save the patch on the computer with the editor option "Save current state". I then change a few paramaters, change the name and save a new state on the computer.

But when i'm try to load a few Saved State on the editor, they immediatly freeze the PreenFM2.
I always get this message on the unit :
PFM2 V2.08b
LR: 0x0807CC6D
PC: 0x008059B68
r0: 0x00000348

I just tried this with a MIDI connection with a Roland UM-one MkII interface, and i got the same result.

I guess i can transfer the saved states to USB key inside the unit, so my patches aren't lost.
But anyone got an idea about this bug?

Cheers!
Yan

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:27:19 AM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pushing a saved state from editor to PreenFM2 freezes it!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:53:49 PM »

Hi,

Seems like there's a problem with the value in the patch, while it's saved or while it's loaded.
Can you share the patch ?

Xavier

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »
Here is one of the patch.

By the way, i realise by looking at the file that there is no file extension. Are those saved states usable only by the editor, or can i upload it to PreenFM2 USB key and load it on the unit just like i would with an DX7 sysex file for exemple?

thanks for having a look to it!

Jalex

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »
Hello!

I have this problem to when i work with editor.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:25:10 PM »
Here is one of the patch.

By the way, i realise by looking at the file that there is no file extension. Are those saved states usable only by the editor, or can i upload it to PreenFM2 USB key and load it on the unit just like i would with an DX7 sysex file for exemple?

thanks for having a look to it!

I can upload your preset "Squeechy 8" to the preenfm2. It does not crash, does this preset actually crash on yours ?

The editor preset is a compressed file of a xml representation of the internal editor parameters ;)
So only readable by the editor itself.

EDITED: i tried on my PC. Will give a try on my mac.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:28:34 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pushing a saved state from editor to PreenFM2 freezes it! [Fix pending]
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
Please let me know if the attached firmware fixes the problem.
Thanks,

(Firmware removed....)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:28:01 PM by Xavier »

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
Yes, the "Squeechy_8" preset made the PreenFM2 freeze, like all the other versions of this preset i made.

I'm sorry the 2.09 fix isn't working. But it gives me a different error message when i load my patches :
LR : 0x0807C7D9
PC: 0x08070C7C6
r0: 0xFFFFFFFF

Where you able to reproduce this bug on your mac? If you can't it means it either an hardware problem or a midi driver problem, nope?

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
Xavier, a little update. I realise that the freeze and error message hapen every time i click the "Puch" button, even without loading an old preset. I simply didn't try that before.

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
Actually i did flash my unit with the 2.09 firmware before posting. So the pushing button still produce freeze. Maybe Jalex can tell us how it's working on his side.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Actually i did flash my unit with the 2.09 firmware before posting. So the pushing button still produce freeze. Maybe Jalex can tell us how it's working on his side.

Yes sorry i removed my post but you replied too quickly.
I can reproduce the problem and the 2.09 fixed it for me.

I'll give it another try later today.

Thanks a lot for testing.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Do you use MIDI input or USB on your preenfm2 ?

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
I mainly use the USB connection, but i tried with my Roland UM-One mkII midi interface, and got the same result.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile

I really cannot reproduce any freeze with the above firmware.
There were some confusion between NRPN and CC in the preenfm2 firmware < 2.08d.

Arpegiator direction and octave were using CC 98 and 99 which are used by NRPN....  ::)
This is what i fixed above.
And i could not reproduce any problem with this fix.
I can PUSH hundreds of time "Squeechy 8" to my preenfm2 from my MAC through USB without any visible problem (specialy weird char in the arpegiator menu).

But i just saw a bug when you send value geater than the expected max value for a parameter.
This is what i fixed in this 2.08e. (sorry for the 2.09 name above, i should have kept it for the bug free version).

If you can try, that would be great.

Thanks

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
Thanks for this version, but maybe something is happening with my midi drivers :(
Because i got the results again, with both USB and MIDI connections.
I will try to see if i can tweak things with the Mac OS Midi configuration.

Yan

• Team member
    • View Profile
Xavier! It's working now!
I was just browsing through the MIDI options available both on my Mac system options, and on the PreenFM2. And i just saw that it was possible to set a global MIDI channel on the PreenFM2 to "none", which i was never aware of. Just tried to save that configuration, and now pushing my presets works.

MIDI mysteries!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 03:23:01 PM by Yan »