Author Topic: Sawtooth waveform  (Read 4073 times)

samuelous

• Team member
    • View Profile
Sawtooth waveform
« on: October 30, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »
Hi all!

I just got my preenfm2 this week! I am really loving the device, so much good stuff to say.

I am wondering some things about the default saw waveform, it sounds a bit muffled, is this because its a low ramp? Is this a conscious design decision perhaps because a pure saw is less usable in FM synthesis?

I was also wondering if someone here has a a nice pure saw waveform that they would be willing to share here, or if this is perhaps impossible on the pfm2.

Thanks!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sawtooth waveform
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 10:36:59 PM »

Hi,

Have you try feeding the attack with a short modulator ?
Or use an eveloppe to pitch shift the first ms ?
That often gives punchier attacks.

Xavier

samuelous

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »
That makes sense for an FM way, I was more wondering if I could use the custom waveforms to blend a more "regular" saw shape on a carrier with my FM operators to create unique combinations. But perhaps I should first explore FM more and create a saw-ish shape using your suggestion :)

prephylve1

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »
You can also try loading your own user waves. I tried using sampled saw waves from analog gear and ended up hating it for FM purposes. I also tried a more “accurate” saw wave and the reuksts were too buzzy and filled with unwanted artifacts.

samuelous

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 10:22:40 AM »
You can also try loading your own user waves. I tried using sampled saw waves from analog gear and ended up hating it for FM purposes. I also tried a more “accurate” saw wave and the reuksts were too buzzy and filled with unwanted artifacts.

Would you mind sharing some of those sampled saw waves? Now a few weeks further I see how saw isn't the ideal shape for FM synthesis and I probably won't be using it a lot. But I am curious :)

SirPrimalform

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
I think the built in saw wave is heavily bandlimited, IIRC Xavier said it was additively generated with something like the first 20 partials.

To my ear, the sudden stop after the top partial gives the impression of resonance.

I believe it's due to Gibbs Phenomenon. I've been meaning to try synthesising my own bandlimited saw with a bit more of a dropoff in the harmonics to lose the ringing but I haven't got around to it.