Author Topic: Note Range settings for Instruments (for making Splits or Drum Kits)  (Read 3543 times)

baxgas

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hi!

First of all, thanks for developing this great little powerful synth! I'm really happy the development is active :-)

I have suggestion to implement the feature of Note Range for the Instruments, which could make possible a lot of different nice applications through MIDI controllers.
eg. then we could make
Splits, like Instrument 1 – Bass, Instrument 2 – Lead, both set at MIDI Ch.1, with Note Ranges Inst.1: C0-B2, Inst.2: C3-C7
Drum Kits, like Inst.1: Kick, Inst.2: Snare, Inst.3: High hat, Inst.4: Toms, all set to the same MIDI channel, with different note ranges
And many more options (eg. layers)...

Best Regards,
baxgas

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Note Range settings for Instruments (for making Splits or Drum Kits)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:48:52 AM »
Hi,

That's a nice idea, but I don't think i will ever implemented this in the preenfm2.

You can use a keyboard that does that for you.
My old Novation SL49 compact has zones that do that very well.
I imagine many other keyboard can do that.

baxgas

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:31:26 AM »
My idea is to use it with Ableton Live in one track, and Live can send only on one MIDI channel per track.

Is it not possible to implement this feature because of the software limitations?

observer

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
Why not simply use more than one track then?

I use the preen for percussion all the time with my sequencer. I set up 4 channels and go at it. I find it preferable having each voice on its own channel anyhow. A little more tedious, but much more flexible in terms of pitching, modulation, etc of the preen and for the possibility of polyrhythms and midi fx on each part on the sequencer.

baxgas

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:32:15 AM »
Yeah, sure I use it also like that, but performance-wise would be nicer to have more instruments/channels available on one keyboard setup...