Author Topic: What are you all using to sequence the PreenFM2  (Read 7092 times)

jamesh31

• Team member
    • View Profile
What are you all using to sequence the PreenFM2
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:22:45 PM »
ideally, hardware that makes the most of the four instruments, although I'd be interested in any iPad apps that can send multi-channel sequences too

observer

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: What are you all using to sequence the PreenFM2
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 11:01:53 AM »
you could certainly use an ipad to sequence.

Depending on what you're going for, there are a handful of options

• Nanostudio 2 - daw-like piano roll, with a bonus sampler and pretty impressive 3 osc synth
• Xequence 2 - similar, but without the option to run instruments and midi plugins, of which there a lot of good ones
• Polyphase - fun 4 part generative sequencer. Perfect for the PFM2, but not perfect if you want predictable results.
• Atom - A piano roll Auv3 that you can run multiple instances in any host. For the most modular approach, I'd suggest AUM as a host running Atom. there are fantastic midi fx plugins such as Mozaic, midifiltr-PG, midLFOs, cykle, Cality, Fugue Machine, etc.. as well as lots of drum machines and such. These plugins can also run in a host such as Nanostudio. Sadly Nanostudio doesn't have audio recording capabilities just yet.

I personally prefer a hardware sequencer as it's more hands on, but I sort of use a combination. I'm using a Squarp Pyramid, but all midi and audio goes through AUM for audio and midi processing. Nice thing is that AUM also doubles as a multichannel audio recorder!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:04:30 AM by observer »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 09:10:18 PM »
Thanks observer for the list  :)

I can add :
. Korg Gadget : Taipei instrument allows external midi
. Cubasis
. Modstep
. KRFT (very unique)

Soop

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »
Interesting thread! I only recently received and built my PreenFM2 (thanks Arni at VanDaal) but have been experimenting with the Elektron Digitakt (8 audio tracks + 8 midi tracks), which seems like it will be great match for live performances.

Also I have tried the Elektron Digitone a little although it only has 4 midi tracks but it's 4 tracks of internal sounds should compliment those of the PreenFM2 nicely. The Digitone also has two audio ins so could be used as a two-piece setup live, without a mixer.

I have been seeking a compact hardware setup (strictly no laptop) that can be easily used live so love the PreenFM2's size. I am still finding my way around it but must echo the praise for this marvellous machine. So far, I find the interface really clear, logical and easy to change midi channels for making combos, using multitimbrality, etc. Nice work, Xavier.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:40:26 PM by Soop »

mackemint

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
MPC500 and PreenFM2 make good pals.
The 48 available MIDI tracks on the MPC provides quite a buffet for sequencing. :)

jamesh31

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:04:48 PM »
Thanks everyone ... lots to consider there

I've tried Modstep, with mixed success -- quite a few dropped notes, which I can't get my head around. I've seen nothing but brilliant reviews and demos of AUM, so might try that, combined with Atom

I'm relatively new to sequencing, and the set up is complicated by the fact that there are two other synths in the band that need clock, but not sequencing (a Minilogue and a Polivoks) ... am I right in assuming I can use the midi out on the PFM2 to send clock to the Minilogue? I can simply sync that with the Russian synth

jamesh31

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »
Quick update - with a better quality USB midi cable, Modstep is AMAZING. Ditto, AUM (with the Piano Roll plug in) ... now I just need a midi controller with actual pads and knobs that will work to control the iPad. Has anyone used any of the bluetooth controllers with any degree of success

Méka

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 09:43:38 AM »
You should take a look on Fugue Machine (4 tracks simultaneous sequencer) which compliment nicely the Preen FM2 ...

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fugue-machine-midi-sequencer/id1014191410