Author Topic: OUT OF TUNE? PLEASE HELP  (Read 16629 times)

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
OUT OF TUNE? PLEASE HELP
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
Something weird happened... a moment ago I started noticing that something was off and some of my keys going out of tune on my keystep midi controller. Like the E key would say D on tuner for a bit then change back or I'll hit a D and then an octave D and they wouldn't sound right at all etc.. Very odd. So I rebooted the system and went right back to the sound i was using and it's back to normal now? Has this happened before to anyone else?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:55:52 AM by Brockstar »

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: OUT OF TUNE?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
Another quick thing to note is when a note is out of tune and as soon as you change the voice knob it pops right back in tune sometimes.... so apparently something to do with voice knob maybe?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:55:17 PM by Brockstar »

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: OUT OF TUNE? PLEASE HELP
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:07 AM »
I ran in a few problems with 2.09 as well on certain patches with voices higher than 3... but once lowered to 3 or less, the tuning was normal. I don't understand why but from all the testings I think the firmwares are fine. Really odd too, the patches I run across that has a issue, if i unplug usb and plug back in, go back to that sound and it's normal and tuned in normal... ODD! Seems to only do it after the unit has been on for some time.

Like for example, im testing out .syx files and i run across one where a key will be out of tune, if i lower that voice to 3 or below it goes back into tune or if i turn the unit off and back on it goes back into tune... Can someone please tell me why? Doesn't make sense at all.

Seems like I get a lot of views by people seeing my post but no help :(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:47:34 AM by Brockstar »

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 03:08:05 AM »
Can powering it with USB cause issues like this? I don't have a proper adapter for it so just been powering it with USB. I wouldn't think so?

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 04:10:19 AM »
I don't think this is the USB power.

Can you post a sample patch you this happens with? What algorithms are the patches using that demonstrate this issue?

Are all the notes being played on the same channel. For example, does it happen if you play 3 or more notes on channel 1, and if you play two notes on channel 1 and one note on channel 2.

Does this happen if you use a computer sequencer like Logic?

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »
I don't think this is the USB power.

Can you post a sample patch you this happens with? What algorithms are the patches using that demonstrate this issue?

Are all the notes being played on the same channel. For example, does it happen if you play 3 or more notes on channel 1, and if you play two notes on channel 1 and one note on channel 2.

Does this happen if you use a computer sequencer like Logic?

I have a video im gonna try to get posted today of the behavior. It's hard to explain, have to see it more to understand.

It happens randomly, i won't know what patch until I try it out and as for algorithms, I start with alg1 and move up to test the sounds. And in right hand corner every time I press a key on my arturia keystep "1234" shows up if that's what you mean by channel.

When I'm testing a patch, the I1 is the only one that I use, I2, I3, I4 all voice is turned off.

At bottom of screen you have "alg, velo and voic". For algorithm, velocity and voices.

When I run across a patch that sounds out of tune (just a random note, then it comes back in tune then another note goes out etc.) I usually have the "voic" parameter set to 6 or higher.. but if i lower that to 3 or lower, the key that was out of tune goes back into tune and the patch sounds fine, or if i unplug usb and plug usb back in and go right back to that same patch and sound, it's back to normal even if i turn the "voic" parameter higher than 3. Like I said it's random, and it may never happen on that patch again.

Also I don't use logic or computer sequencers etc.. I just plug keystep into the preenfm2, out from preen into my line 6 helix etc..

This whole issue makes no sense but I need to get to the bottom of it. Sure it's random and I can just unplug, plug back in or turn down to 3 voices or less when it happens and move on, but I shouldn't have too. Something is wrong for sure. I paid almost $300 off someone for this unit and I can't afford it to half work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:09:24 PM by Brockstar »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »

That's really weird.

"1234" shows up ? at the same time ?
You should try to set" Tool>Set>Global ch: None"

You can use INST+MENU on the preenfm3 to reset the voice alocation. Does that fix the problem whe it appears ?

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 09:47:45 PM »

That's really weird.

"1234" shows up ? at the same time ?
You should try to set" Tool>Set>Global ch: None"

You can use INST+MENU on the preenfm3 to reset the voice alocation. Does that fix the problem whe it appears ?

Yes 1234 shows up in top right corner of my preenfm2 every time I press on a key on my midi controller, and global ch: is set to none, and also I use the inst+menu when a note hangs, but my notes are going out of tune randomly here and there, this shouldn't be happening with a digital synth.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:49:26 PM by Brockstar »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:54:18 PM »
So all instrument listen to the same midi channel ?

Can you set a dedicated midi channel for each instrument on the preenfm2 and have your KeyStep send to only one instrument ? Does that fix the problem ?

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 10:30:11 PM »
So all instrument listen to the same midi channel ?

Can you set a dedicated midi channel for each instrument on the preenfm2 and have your KeyStep send to only one instrument ? Does that fix the problem ?

What do you mean? You mean in the tools section put midi 1, midi 2, midi 3 etc? And not sure about keystep? Not sure why any of that would make the sound go out of tune though on a digital synth?

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 12:59:35 AM »
Hey Xavier, so I came across a patch that went out of tune so I took your advice just now and did the inst+menu together and it popped it right back in tune! So is there a reason why though? I'm glad it's able to go back into tune but would suck if you used it live or recording and it did that, even if it's a quick fix with the inst+menu buttons.... A digital synth shouldn't be going out of tune or is it the syx files doing it?

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 02:04:43 AM »
Brockstar, can you post the patch, or do you know the name of the patch?

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 02:41:42 AM »
Brockstar, can you post the patch, or do you know the name of the patch?

As stated in my comments, it's random. It's not just any particular patch. It just happens when it happens when I load a patch up. I can load it up, and it'll be out of tune, next time I load it, it'll be fine etc.. Same as any other patch. But now that that inst+menu fixes it, I'm a bit happier doing that then having to unplug and plug the usb back in etc... Still strangely odd a digital synth doing it but I'm guessing it has something to do with the .syx files.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 11:54:27 AM »

It's very easy to have a FM digital synth  play out of tune, just change a little the frequency or 'fine tune' of the carrier operators.

So i assume the Sysex import translator has a problem.
This is the first time i hear about this, that's why i think it may be linked to the instrument listening all to the same midi channel and the number of voice of the different instruments.

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 02:26:05 PM »

It's very easy to have a FM digital synth  play out of tune, just change a little the frequency or 'fine tune' of the carrier operators.

So i assume the Sysex import translator has a problem.
This is the first time i hear about this, that's why i think it may be linked to the instrument listening all to the same midi channel and the number of voice of the different instruments.

I understand the fine tune and frequency stuff by manualling detuning what you want on a digital synth, but this isn't that I don't think.

Also I'm not using any other instruments? When I load up a .syx file to test, I turn the voic to 6, the velo to 8 and the alg to 1 and then I go through the 28 algorithms to try each one out. The I1 is the only thing I'm using. I2, I3, I4 voices are off set to 0 and not using them.

When I 1st got the preenfm2 last saturday it was displaying "1" in top right corner but then somehow it now shows "1234" in top right corner of screen when I press a key. I can't seem to get it back to 1 in the settings. Perhaps as you mention, this may be the issue, but i can't get it back to 1 for some reason.

Like I said above it's random. I never know which ones going to do it. But pushing inst+menu does pop it back into tune so that is good, but wish I didn't have to do that when it happens.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:29:56 PM by Brockstar »