Author Topic: FS1R Formants and FM-X on the PreenFM2  (Read 9514 times)

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
FS1R Formants and FM-X on the PreenFM2
« on: December 03, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
First, Superb job on the Preen algorithms!  I didn’t get it at first, but after I studied them for awhile I was able to replicate ALL of the DX7 algorithms, ALL of the DX11 4-Operator algorithms, ALL of the RefaceDX algorithms, and ALL of the possible 3-Op algorithms.  Way to go Xavier!  And it only took 27.  Feedback was the only difference.  Since feedback mostly results in a sawtooth waveform, it’s not hard to replace (or you can load in a custom feedback waveform).  Mostly I use feedback for brass instrument patches, so once my PreenFM2 arrives I’ll figure out how to best replicate those patches.

I’ve worked a lot on the Yamaha FS1R, so until my PreenFM2 arrives I have a few ideas.

1.   The Yamaha FS1R and the Montage/MODX series add in six custom waveforms and call the results 8-Operator FM-X.  Since there are six user waveform slots in the Preen, we can create all of the FM-X waveforms, ALL1, ALL2, ODD1, ODD2, RES1, and RES2, and load them in.  The new waveforms add a lot of capability into FM, which I’ve gone over in the FM-X section of the FM Programming Guide on my website.  RES1 and RES2 are especially useful.  You can download the guide here if you’re interested:
http://javelinart.com/fm-synth-programming.html

2.   The FS1R also has Formants, which are really not that complicated to create.  The formant operators pass the ALL1 waveform through a set of bandpass filters.  We need probably six adjustable very narrow bandpass filters that work in parallel.  The center frequency, bandwidth, and amplitude need to be adjustable on each filter segment.  Yes, it would reduce polyphony, but the formant patches I’ve created on the FS1R are generally solo voices and don’t require much polyphony, just one or two notes at a time.  I see custom filters people have added into the Preen code in the Forum, including a triple formant filter, so we could create a larger adjustable set of formant filters, can’t we?  I have a really nice female voice patch on the FS1R (Christina Aguilera’s lower voice register) as an example of what this would add to the Preen:
http://javelinart.com/fs1r-human-voices.html

Adjustable formants add more than human voices too, you can replicate realistic wind instruments, do more realistic strings, and create crazy synth patches based on more resonant, expressive instrument models.

3.   Human voices take a lot of Portamento, called Glide? on the PreenFM2, right?  We can do that.

If we make these changes we can claim the PreenFM2 can do 6-Op FM-X, and formants like the FS1R. 
Essentially, a baby FS1R!  Marketing?  Are you listening?

Adding formants also opens up possibilities similar to the Technics WSA1 that even the FS1R can’t do.  On the Technics synth you pair a Driver waveform with a Resonator.  Figuratively, you pick an instrument like a Trumpet (the Driver) and pass the sound through a Violin body (the Resonator).  You can mix and match any pairing of Drivers to Resonators from the hard-coded selections.  On the Preen we could create our own Drivers (custom waveforms or FM patches) and pair it with our own custom Resonators using the formant filter set.  The FS1R can’t do the first part, it locks you into the ALL1 waveform when you use formants, but the Preen could.  We could put together a set of resonant filters (just settings) for each instrument type for the PreenFM2 to mate with our DX7 FM patches and create a baby Technics WSA1 while we’re at it.  Pretty cool, eh?

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: FS1R Formants and FM-X on the PreenFM2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:07:02 AM »
I really like your FM programming guide. It was an enjoyable read.

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
Oh. Thats a great reading! Good job!

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 04:20:56 AM »
Thanks Guys.

I've been thinking, and I may have come up with a way to implement/try out adjustable formants without writing a new filter mod.  I think I can get it to work with four band pass filters by setting up four Instruments, each with a different filter, then trigger them all at the same time on the same midi channel.  It's not as good as six filter segments, but it won't require any code changes.  Now, if I just had a PreenFM2 to try it on... Mine is in transit.

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:26:34 PM »
Jave, how you liking it? Hope you got the preenfm2 by now.

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 07:20:57 PM »
It hasn't arrived yet... Coming all the way from Poland to the US.  It will probably take another week.
I'm anxiously waiting so I can dig in and start experimenting, lots of things I want to try.
I guess I could create the FM-X waveforms while I'm waiting so I can port my FM-X patches over.

the_duckchild

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »
was already into the idea of building one of these synths in January, but the idea that it might get formant/vowel sounds one day really cements the idea tbh!

Love these sounds so all power to you on this one!

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 09:37:55 PM »
We may be able to pull off four formants right now, one filter per instrument all playing the same voice on the same input channel.  Now, if we can get a new type of filter, adjustable bandpass, multiple ones like the triple formants only adjustable, then we really could match the FS1R formants.  Shouldn't be too hard, we just need to make the new formant filters adjustable from the screen.

prephylve1

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
Hi there! I came across your site a few years ago and love the content. Great to see you here.

I converted waveforms from the TX81Z for use on the PFM2 and uploaded them to this forum. If you could record the raw waveforms of the FS1R and send them to me I would love to do the same to them. DM and I’ll send you my email address :)

FYI for anyone recording waveforms:

Record each waveform at 48k 24bit around 46.87hz or F#1 tuned sharp. One cycle at that frequency gives you exactly 1024 samples.

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 11:57:25 PM »
Roger.  Hopefully I'll get some time in the next week or so to do some recording. 
My PreenFM2 just arrived, so I've started working with it, going to convert a few patches and see what I get.

Naive Teen Idol

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 01:38:36 AM »
Any progress on this? I would love to try this on my new PFM2.

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 03:40:37 PM »
Some.  I recorded the FMX waveforms and handed them off to Aaron.  I haven't heard back yet.  I've been working with the PreenFM2, made a set of patch banks from the Dexed library, made a nice acoustic guitar patch Saturday.  Still need to try formants out though.

prephylve1

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 06:54:43 AM »
Sorry guys I’ve been swamped with studio repairs and life stuff. I’ll try to knock out converting some waves in the coming weeks.

vurt

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 05:05:58 AM »
Really exciting, loved the voice example! Hope to see some more progress on this!