Author Topic: No Sustain Modulator Destination?  (Read 3449 times)

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
No Sustain Modulator Destination?
« on: January 05, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
Hi guys,  Twice now I've gone looking for the Carrier/Modulator Sustain modifier and it doesn't exist.  We have Attack, Decay, and Release, but no Sustain modulator?  I'm working on a Steel String Guitar patch and I wanted to modify the ring down time on the patch for high notes using the Note1-Scaling.  I had to redo the envelopes from a sharp Attack, sharp Decay, long Sustain to sharp Attack, long Decay, no Sustain because there isn't a Sustain Note1 modulator destination.  The patch sounds ok, but it's not quite what I wanted.

Is there a reason why there is no Sustain time modifier?  I needed it on a piano patch also, but it doesn't exist.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: No Sustain Modulator Destination?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »
Hi,

No reason except i didn't want to flood the destination list.
First firmware only had release, i added Attack and Decay later.
Never thought Decay could be usefull.

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
Re: No Sustain Modulator Destination?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »
Well, I'm using Decay right now.  I could use Sustain if you get around to it.
If you've played a piano or guitar, the high notes die away faster than the middle and low notes.  An instrument patch sounds more like a real acoustic instrument if you set the patch up so the Decay/Sustain shortens as the notes get higher.  Otherwise, it sounds more like an electric piano or electric guitar.  LevelScaling on the original DX7 is similar, it lowers/increases the number of harmonics in different keyboard ranges for the same reason.

And thanks for the update!!  I headed off to get it right now!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:39:40 PM by Javelin276 »