Author Topic: New Patch Banks  (Read 4684 times)

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
New Patch Banks
« on: January 03, 2020, 08:59:01 PM »
Hi Guys,  I've been digging through the Dexed_cart_1.0 patch library, the sorted instruments section looking for high quality, unique patches.  For named instruments I went after patches that sounded more like real instruments, for synth patches I went after unique ones.  There are hundreds of duplicates in the Dexed library, and thousands that sound pretty much the same.  There are WAY too many modified sawtooth patches in there.  I kept the unique ones and threw out the rest.  So... I cut the sorted instruments down to just 400 patches from over 30,000.   Massive task, only took a couple of days.  Luckily the PreenFM2 firmware allows us to preview patches very quickly, you can go through a bank of 32 patches in about 30 seconds if you don't stop.  As musicians, we can pick out the one good one in a hundred pretty easily by ear. 

Anyway, there are anywhere from 10 to 20 patches in each Bank/category, for a total of about 400.  Plenty of room in each bank to add your own.  Now, if anyone asks you "can the PreenFm2 do a Rhodes Electric Piano patch" you can find one easily.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:12:19 PM by Javelin276 »

Soop

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: New Patch Banks
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
This sounds great! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and for sharing. There are DX7 patches online but the number is overwhelming and takes time to navigate so this is very welcome. Will be checking this out later...!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 10:52:25 PM »

Thanks a lot.
That's very nice of you to share this !!!  :D

Javelin276

• Team member
    • View Profile
    • JavelinArt
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 11:11:58 PM »
You're welcome, guys.  Some of the acoustic instrument patches need some help.  I'm trying to fix the best piano patch and create an acoustic guitar patch.  We'll see what I come up with.

ktnsft

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 04:17:54 AM »
Thanks! Looking forward to checking these out tonight.

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:51:04 PM »
Nice patch selection, thank you !

the_duckchild

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
thanks for these!

Naive Teen Idol

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 01:04:41 AM »
These are great – thanks for sharing. I’ve been thinking about starting a thread about tips on how best to tweak DX7 patches but this may be as good as any. Obviously there’s been a lot of people asking about feedback – and Xavier’s talked about how feedback is less necessary with saw and noise waveforms. But I’ve found it difficult to reproduce some of the peculiar crackliness of feedback at the highest feedback and level settings on the DX7. It’s not just noise.

Thoughts?