Author Topic: 2.12 Beta 2  (Read 12689 times)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2.12 Beta 1
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »
As I've only had the Preen a little while and not really played with the step sequencer I am a bit unclear on how much change to a sound is possible per step, I probably just need to have a try and load up your drumkit patch to see what's happening in it!

It can ve very usefull for rythmic part, sync it to midi clock (bpm after 240) and give it a try.
Use the matrix destination=IM* to get what it does.
And play with the StepSeq Gate from the menu.

Toltekradiation's patch allow to assign a key per step instead of having the step seq moving forward alone over time.

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
ok, i found the "bug" cause : the gate value of the step seq !
in my test patch, gate value was 0.8, so 20% of the rightmost notes of the keyboard zone could not work :P.

in addition, the result was not consistant because of a missing reset :
https://github.com/pvig/preenfm2/commit/c0482e639ec8d89419dd0c73e34c76622fa095b6

the_duckchild

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 03:23:45 PM »
beware ! the drumkit patch will only work with the fw version available in the corresponding thread, the destination list is not the same in the 2.12Beta. otherwise, you will have to fix the seq start destination in the drumkit patch.

ah! I wondered what was going on, thanks.

:)

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »
Haven't used my preenfm2 in almost 3 months. Plugged her in again last night and been messing with it again last night and now. Updated to new firmware! So far so good!

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 10:33:41 AM »
mmm, another one :
the attack modifications from a stepseq source are not always calculated early enough : one have to press the key again to get the right value..

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 09:54:29 PM »
ok, the fix was close to previous one :)
here is the commit : https://github.com/pvig/preenfm2/commit/b13f0cf9a5d3c0e87f31c3711e362e4901e7e461

baxgas

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »
Wow, this sounds great! Thank you for improving the PreenFM2!
Will flash it now and play around. The added Dst2 in the Matrix is an immediate big-like!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 12:39:52 PM by baxgas »

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »
i found another bug :
only with algo 28, when env loop is activated on Op6, notes are no longer started...

(edit) bug fix here : https://github.com/pvig/preenfm2/commit/9f452a282170c1f4e9fabe5512dba92d73327734
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:56:45 PM by Toltekradiation »

Drexy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »
Is there a release with these fixes?

SMF

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
Hello,

I use the PreenFM2 quite a lot for my music. A real annoyance is that it does not have channel-volume and channel-pan. (At least not on the standard-CCs) So I have to use filter-gain or the CCs for the mixer to achieve the desired changes. While this is nice if you want to alter the sound and stereo-seperation completely, this is totally annoying if you just want a fade-in and/or fade-out.

So, please, make these midi-CCs (Channel-Volume/-Pan) work, before adding more filters or other more CPU-intense but seldomly used things.

all the best and TIA!
Stefan

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
@Drexy No release with the fix yet... I don't have any excuse except the lack of time.

Hello,

I use the PreenFM2 quite a lot for my music. A real annoyance is that it does not have channel-volume and channel-pan. (At least not on the standard-CCs) So I have to use filter-gain or the CCs for the mixer to achieve the desired changes. While this is nice if you want to alter the sound and stereo-seperation completely, this is totally annoying if you just want a fade-in and/or fade-out.

So, please, make these midi-CCs (Channel-Volume/-Pan) work, before adding more filters or other more CPU-intense but seldomly used things.

all the best and TIA!
Stefan

I'm not sure i get it.
Why doesn't the MixerGain (CC73) work for fade-in and fade-out ? It's available even when no filter is selected.

And can you clarify what you mean or want to achieve with "stereo-separation" ?

SMF

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 08:13:03 PM »
Why doesn't the MixerGain (CC73) work for fade-in and fade-out ? It's available even when no filter is selected.

According to this List: https://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/midi/ CC73 is "filter-gain" and not "mixer"-gain.  ;) This is why I didn't even think it would work without a filter being set.

Now, that I have tried it, it seems very well suited for the job. Only weird thing remaining in that context is, that it is on CC73 (just curious, was there any particular reason for this?) and not on CC7 (which would be Midi-Channel-Volume).

According to that same Midi-CC-List for the Preen (is it complete?) CC7 is not used. If so, would it be possible to double CC73 on CC7? So, that the PreenFM2 would react on both? CC73 for backwards-compatibility and CC7 for all sorts of "Standard"-Midi-Sequencer-Software? CC7 for Channel-Volume is pretty much an agreed standard...

And can you clarify what you mean or want to achieve with "stereo-separation" ?

I will try to...

You can place the output of the four mixer-channels of a given PreenFM2-Voice in the stereo-position separately -- which is a very cool feature, btw -- like you can do with the separate audio-levels of these. This is (according to the list mentioned above) controlled for the pan-position of each mixer-output with CCs (23 + (n-1) *2), and for the volume of each mixer-output with CCs (22 + (n-1) *2). So CC22 would control Mix1-Volume and CC23 would control Mix1-Pan-Position... This text is just an attempt to clarify of what I am speaking about (you will know these CCs by yourself for sure... ;) )

What I would like to have additionally would be some means of a "global" Pan-Position (Standard-CC for this would be CC10).

So what would be the desired behaviour of CC10? Imagine CC23 (pan MIX1) is set to totally left and CC25 (MIX2) is set to totally right. CC10 then would be reacting as follows: CC10 set to left: MIX1 and MIX2 mapped completely to the left position. CC10 set to right: MIX1 and MIX2 mapped completely to the right position. CC10 set to center: MIX1 left, MIX2 right as set by CC23 and CC25.

Why do I bother and ask?

I use the preenFM2 mainly in a DAW-Sequencer-Setup in which I use all four of its midi-channels with different instruments. Most DAWs/Midi-Sequencers provide Channel-Volume and Channel-Panning on CCs Nr. 7 and Nr. 10 inside of some sort of channel-mixer in that scenario. And "all" (despite the Waldorf Rocket ... which is monophonic and doesn't feature midi-controlled volume at all...) my synths feature them on these CCs. Except the PreenFM2.

all the best,
Stefan

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 08:45:11 PM »

Thanks, that makes total sense.

CC7 would copy CC73 i agree, that's easy to do.
Keep in mind that's a digital volume, when decreasing it reduces the number of bits used by the DAC. So keep it at 1.0 for regular use.

For CC10, I see, that's the reason i created the "Mix" Filter (that's the first one) and its "Pan" parameter, but when using it you cannot use any other effect.
It would have to be a feature available through CC only as i don't find any nice place to put that in the already crowded UI.

SMF

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 09:31:13 PM »
For CC10, I see, that's the reason i created the "Mix" Filter (that's the first one) and its "Pan" parameter, but when using it you cannot use any other effect.
It would have to be a feature available through CC only as i don't find any nice place to put that in the already crowded UI.

Having this available through CC, only, would be -- at least from my point of view -- absolutely perfectly OK.

I must admit, that I do not know of any synth which features more than this (Channel-Pan only via CC10). I may be wrong but I believe that there is pretty much no synth out there having it directly accessible from within the UI...

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2.12 Beta 2
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 10:30:29 PM »
2.12 Beta 2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1chpzhsbCt1kFxVuPfmdk3dedF1DcR0Yj/view?usp=sharing
See first message of this thread for details.

SMF can you give a try to firmware 2.12 B2 i just uploaded. You posted the good day when i have some free time :)

Toltekradiation, Beta 2 should contain your 3 fixes.  Thanks  :)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:45:35 PM by Xavier »