Author Topic: preenfm3 : v1.03 (Toltekradiation/pvig : "vosim" algos + CC + fix)  (Read 26942 times)

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 : 0.97 (compressors and level metters)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »
thanks Lokki for the clarification, and Xavier for the tip on Keyboard vs. Continuous. I think that solves it, as I wrote on the other thread a moment ago [the slots 5 and 6 thread]. I will check with keyboard later!

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »
if it works with max/msp but not a midi keyboard this could be an issue with midi handling of DIN vs usb i guess. but i think those streams should be merged much "earlier" on in the code...

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
Sure enough, just hooked up my keyboard and Continuous is the way to get it to work like the other synths I'm used to. Sorry for the false alarm! :o

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
Sure enough, just hooked up my keyboard and Continuous is the way to get it to work like the other synths I'm used to. Sorry for the false alarm! :o

:D No problem ! Glad you found what you need.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 : 0.98 (Unison & TFT stability)
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 06:52:02 PM »
Firmware v0.98
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/releases/

Edit > Engine
. New playing mode added to poly/monon : Unison
. 2 new params added for unison : spread (stereo), detune.
. Glide new mode. Legacy mode was overlap, new Always glide mode.

Mixer > Voices
. Display in red if inconsistency with instrument poly/mono/unison mode
. Fix some page titles

Edit > Operator > Envs
. Fix Multi edit (MENU + encoder) of operator envs

Sequencer
. stop arpegiator when sequencer is stoped

TFT stability
. Improved TFT stability
Slower frequency, hight interup priority, smaller chunks for DMA push)
. Removed TFT backlight in menu (now always 100%).

Dev
. Clean old PCB pinout
. Rename class member variable with "_" suffix (in progress)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:55:23 PM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 11:47:56 PM »

haven't updated yet, but it is not really clear from your statement, is there a new option to change glide or did you just change the default behaviour? i sincerely hope we have both options now :) glide only on overlap is essential!!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 07:03:28 AM »

haven't updated yet, but it is not really clear from your statement, is there a new option to change glide or did you just change the default behaviour? i sincerely hope we have both options now :) glide only on overlap is essential!!

Both options are available : overlap and always.
"Always mode" is really weird ;)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 : 0.98b (Unison & TFT stability)
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 09:03:28 AM »
Firmware v0.98b is ready
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/releases/

Same list as v0.98:

Edit > Engine

. New playing mode added to poly/monon : Unison
. 2 new params added for unison : spread (stereo), detune.
. New optional glide mode :Always glide

Mixer > Voices
. Display in red if inconsistency with instrument poly/mono/unison mode
. Fix some page titles

Edit > Operator > Envs
. Fix Multi edit (MENU + encoder) of operator envs

Sequencer
. stop arpegiator when sequencer is stoped

TFT stability
. Improved TFT stability
Slower frequency, hight interup priority, smaller chunks for DMA push)
. Removed TFT backlight in menu (now always 100%).

Dev
. Clean old PCB pinout
. Rename class member variable with "_" suffix (in progress)

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »
Really enjoying the FM3 Xavier, continuing thanks!

I came across a sort of glitch, maybe, when looking at MIX and then 'Out' - where usually we toggle between 'Jack output' and 'Compressor' but then about every 5 button-presses I get a page that sort of combines the two, and then I also may get an extra screen image 'echo', cut off, at the bottom of the screen.

Also, installed .98b firmware but the screen always shows v0.97b! I wonder why.

And finally, I am having some trouble with loading the mixers I create. It was working for awhile but now whenever I go into my own mixer file and try to load any of the created mixes, the Preen FM3 just freezes. I wonder if the problem could be as follows: I altered some of the 6 presets when playing with the Mixer File but did not save the alterations preset by preset. I only saved the Mixer File itself. Then when the Preen tries to load it is confused. Could that be the problem? I guess I will do some experiments.....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 11:22:12 PM by JeffS »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
Really enjoying the FM3 Xavier, continuing thanks!

Hi JeffS, Thanks  :)

I came across a sort of glitch, maybe, when looking at MIX and then 'Out' - where usually we toggle between 'Jack output' and 'Compressor' but then about every 5 button-presses I get a page that sort of combines the two, and then I also may get an extra screen image 'echo', cut off, at the bottom of the screen.

The glitch you describe is a TFT problem. But it seems you still have 0.97b firmware.

If you see 0.97b in the top right of the MENU page, then you use 0.97b. Not 0.98b.
Easiest way to check is the button Edit>Engine that has 2 states in 0.98 (press a second time on it and you should see the spread/detune option for unison).

And finally, I am having some trouble with loading the mixers I create. It was working for awhile but now whenever I go into my own mixer file and try to load any of the created mixes, the Preen FM3 just freezes. I wonder if the problem could be as follows: I altered some of the 6 presets when playing with the Mixer File but did not save the alterations preset by preset. I only saved the Mixer File itself. Then when the Preen tries to load it is confused. Could that be the problem? I guess I will do some experiments.....

That cannot be the problem. The Mixer file saves all the 6 presets in its own file.
If that still fails with 0.98b please share the mixer file (it's in /pfm3/  on the sd card ansd its name is "<YOUR BANK NAME>.MIX". I'll then debug what's wrong.

I worked on a new WIKI page this week :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/wiki/TFT
Will publish a 0.99 firmware later today.

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »

Quote from: Xavier
The glitch you describe is a TFT problem. But it seems you still have 0.97b firmware.

If you see 0.97b in the top right of the MENU page, then you use 0.97b. Not 0.98b.
Easiest way to check is the button Edit>Engine that has 2 states in 0.98 (press a second time on it and you should see the spread/detune option for unison).

The 98b firmware is definitely on my SD card, at the root [not in the folder]. I select 98b in the boot loader and re-flash it, but it comes up showing 97b, and then when I check under Edit>FM>Engine it has only one page, not the two of 98b.

I don't know what is wrong there.

Quote from: Xavier
That cannot be the problem. The Mixer file saves all the 6 presets in its own file.
If that still fails with 0.98b please share the mixer file (it's in /pfm3/  on the sd card ansd its name is "<YOUR BANK NAME>.MIX". I'll then debug what's wrong.

I worked on a new WIKI page this week :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/wiki/TFT
Will publish a 0.99 firmware later today.

OK thanks. That's good to know that the Mixer file saves all 6 presets independently. I have now had some success making new ones within the original Mixer file location. But the new one that I created using the "SD" command page -- none of the mixer files within that 'folder' work for me.

I will maybe just wait for .99 firmware and try to install that. Like I said, .98b is not installing for some reason.

And now, the last few times I've used the synth, the TFT has gone completely white and I have to reboot. So am looking forward to the new firmware. The new wiki page on the TFT and its issues was interesting.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 08:56:15 AM »
I will maybe just wait for .99 firmware and try to install that. Like I said, .98b is not installing for some reason.

There no reason that it does not flash.
If you see the percentage progress while flashing then it's flashed.
I just double checked the version from github and it's fine.

And now, the last few times I've used the synth, the TFT has gone completely white and I have to reboot. So am looking forward to the new firmware. The new wiki page on the TFT and its issues was interesting.

No need to reboot : just press MENU + INST- to reinit the TFT. Didn't that work ?
Would be great if you could try with the improvement in 0.98b but OK to wait for 0.99 later today :)

I've updated the TFT pages 10 minutes ago with more details on the different TFT PCBs.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:05:39 AM by Xavier »

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »
Thanks - that's all helpful.

The issue with 98b appearing to flash, but then the Preen still flashed at 97b, is very strange. I've tried 5 times, always the same result.

Maybe it's because I don't have a bootloader file there at the root? Should I put the file called "p3_boot_1_07.bin" also at the root along with "p3_0_98b.bin"?

I guess it's probably not important though since a new version is coming soon... :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2020, 06:48:23 PM »
v0.99 available
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/releases/tag/v0.99

TFT Reinit

TFT auto reinit : can be disable in MENU > Config > TFT reinit
    Reinit counter + benchmark available at https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/wiki/TFT

Unison

Edit > Engine > Mode > Unis
    Several big problems fixed. It sometimes did not work at all.

Edit>Engine reworked

Voices renamed Mode (for playing mode) with 3 choices : Mono, poly, Unisons.
    Second engine page
        For Mono and Unisons : Glide (Off, Overlap, Always) and Speed available
        For Unisons : Spread and Detune available

Bug fixed

Fixed a freezing bug when trying to load presets from midi program change.
    In .098, unisons settings override Step sequencer steps

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 06:53:26 PM by Xavier »

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 : 0.99 (TFT auto reinit & bug fixes)
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
Flashing 99 worked great! I have no idea what was wrong for 98b.

And my Mixer files function perfectly now. Thanks much for the great product and support!