Author Topic: Bootloader 1.05 : SD card access  (Read 9463 times)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bootloader 1.05 : SD card access
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 03:25:05 PM »
Just added a dfu file in
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/releases/tag/v0.96

I cannot try it as i don't want to reinstall DfuSe driver, i prefer the cmd way.
Let me know if it works

Megalomidiac

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 03:33:21 PM »
Thank you, it worked!
I think I also will have to replace the dfu driver under Windows 10 to get use of the cmd option.

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »
Yes I can read and save presets.

I don't know about the type of card, sorry- you would have to ask Ardi @ Van Daal.

I've emailed him to ask.

The SD card is SanDisk Ultra SDHC 16GB

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 09:04:02 AM »
Ha- thanks. Just logged in to post that  :)

Edit: some more details. I have tried on PC's running Win7 and Win10. For both, the Preen FM3 text display, where the name of the firmware file should be, is junk text/symbols. When I enter SD card mode, the FM3 display shows the letter R with a spinning '/' symbol.

On the Win7 PC, it says "format the drive'. On the Win10 PC, it says 'Enter a disk in USB Drive D'. It recognizes a STM32 USB mass storage device but I can't actually access it: if I try I get the 'enter a disk' message.

Not sure if it helps but I figure the more info I can provide the better.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:04:33 PM by ericd »

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »
Xavier, do you think in time the compatibility issue with this SD card for SD access mode can be fixed?

Or is it more likely that the card will need to replaced with a different model?

The obvious limitation is not being able to backup my patches (or import patches to try out), or do future firmware updates via SD mode. Everything  'internal' to the synth itself seems to be working fine so far in 0.96.

Personally I find creating patches in the FM3 quite enjoyable. I had gotten used to the FM2 interface, but the FM3 display makes it really easy to see what's going on. I will really give it a workout when my OT comes back from repair. 

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 10:20:13 PM »
Xavier, do you think in time the compatibility issue with this SD card for SD access mode can be fixed?
Or is it more likely that the card will need to replaced with a different model?
The obvious limitation is not being able to backup my patches (or import patches to try out), or do future firmware updates via SD mode. Everything  'internal' to the synth itself seems to be working fine so far in 0.96.
Personally I find creating patches in the FM3 quite enjoyable. I had gotten used to the FM2 interface, but the FM3 display makes it really easy to see what's going on. I will really give it a workout when my OT comes back from repair.

The Sandisk Ultra is perfect.
I have this one. It's the first one i used and it always worked well.
Would be great if you can open your enclosure, take the card, put it directly in a computer, backup it, re format it, copy back the /pfm3/ forlder on it, and put it back in the preenfm.

I really expect that to fix your problem. And you'll have a backup on your computer ;)

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 05:05:55 AM »
Ok- thanks I'll give it a try. Are the any particular options I will need to select when formatting the SD?

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 05:48:29 AM »
I did as suggested. Reformatted the card FAT32, 32kb, The result is the same. When I hold menu and power up the machine, this is the display attached.  The PC still says, when I go into SD mode, that I need to format the disk.

I tried another SD card I had lying around- I think it's pretty old- Lexar Platinum II SDHC 16GB 300x 45 MB/s. I put the FM3 folder on it, when I booted up the Preen display said 'SD CARD ERROR'

I don't know if this helps at all; SETTINGS.txt contains this:

# Usb Midi
#   0=Off, In, In/Out
usbmidi=2

# Receives
#   0=None, CC, NRPN, CC & NRPN
midireceives=3

# Sends
#   0=None, CC, NRPN
midisend=2

# Program Change
#   0=No, Yes
programchange=1

# Boot To
#   0=Default, Bank, Mixer, DX7
boot=0

# Encoder Driver
#   0=12, 24, 12i, 24i
encoders=1

# Test Note
testnote=60

# Test Note Velocity
testvelocity=120

# Arp in Preset
#   0=No, Yes
arpinpreset=0

# Unlinked edit
#   0=No, Yes
unlinkededit=0

# Boot Sound
#   0=No, Yes
bootsound=0

Can I ask- bootloader 1.05 is now on the Preen itself- not on the SD Card? If I try a brand new SD card with the FM3 folder will 1.05 still be installed on the Preen? (sorry for my ignorance- as I said before I am really not a computer person)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:20:59 AM by ericd »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 06:19:00 AM »
I did as suggested. Reformatted the card FAT32, 32kb, The result is the same. When I hold menu and power up the machine, this is the display attached.  The PC still says, when I go into SD mode, that I need to format the disk.

I tried another SD card I had lying around- I think it's pretty old- Lexar Platinum II SDHC 16GB 300x 45 MB/s. I put the FM3 folder on it, when I booted up the Preen display said 'SD CARD ERROR'

Can I ask- bootloader 1.05 is now on the Preen itself- not on the SD Card? If I try a brand new SD card with the FM3 folder will 1.05 still be installed on the Preen? (sorry for my ignorance- as I said before I am really not a computer person)

Oh i just gave a try without bin files and i have the same bug.
You have to copy at least one bin file on the root folder of the SD card : "/".

What i don't understand is the computer that asks you to format... What OS do you have ?
Can you try the SD access with a bin file in the root folder, so that it displays the name correctly.

Did you format the Lexar SD card before copying the SD card ?
It's suggested to use the official SD formater to use with embedded hardware, they are more strict than windows.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Yes, the bootloader and the firmware are on the preenf3, not on the SD card.

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 06:24:34 AM »
The FM3 folder has two bin files

I'm on Win7.

I can try to reformat the Lexar card it was just empty and I have no memory of what I ever used it for!

EDIT- reformatted the Lexar SD card with their program. Same result when I hold menu and boot  'SD Card Error'.

When I reboot into normal mode, I can load and save patches.

But if boot straight into into normal mode from off, I cannot access the patches.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:35:43 AM by ericd »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 06:32:30 AM »
The FM3 folder has two bin files

bin files must bin the root folder of the SD card, not in /pfm3/.

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 06:45:39 AM »
OK- that has fixed the display issue with the Sandisk card!

But not the Lexar - still gets 'SD Card Error' in the same spot where the junk text was with the Sandisk.
Let's forget about the Lexar card for now!

With the Sandisk- Still having the SD card access problem on win 7 and win 10.

I don't understand why it's fine when I remove the card and put it in a card reader, the computer reads it perfectly, can save files to it etc. But when in SD Access mode in the Preen, the computer thinks it needs to be formatted.

EDIT - after the PC says to format the card, if I wait a moment before I press cancel a message pops up:

E:/ is not accessible.
The volume does not contain a recognised file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

I tried reverting to firmware 0.95 but that made no difference either.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:15:47 AM by ericd »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 08:51:43 AM »
With the Sandisk- Still having the SD card access problem on win 7 and win 10.

I don't understand why it's fine when I remove the card and put it in a card reader, the computer reads it perfectly, can save files to it etc. But when in SD Access mode in the Preen, the computer thinks it needs to be formatted.

The SD card access from the computer is complicated.
The preenfm register itself to the computer as a Mass storage USB device, then it redirects all the low level Storage access to the SD card in SPI mode.
Computers have very robust drivers and don't have to deal with SPI mode of SDCARD. (web search for more detail ;) )

I have many combinations to try.
Linux/MacOS/Windows and all SDcard have some small differences.

I confirm that "Windows + Sandisk Ultra" does not work for "SD card access from computer". But works with the rest.
Will have a look this week end.

I tried reverting to firmware 0.95 but that made no difference either.

I'm not surprised, the firmware has nothing to do with the bootloader  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:28:02 AM by Xavier »

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2020, 09:29:40 AM »

Will have a look this week end.

Thanks Xavier.

EDIT- is there a current list of SD cards that are now fully compatible with 0.96?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:37:56 AM by ericd »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2020, 10:03:16 AM »
EDIT- is there a current list of SD cards that are now fully compatible with 0.96?

No sorry.
I've just added the "SD card acces from computer" feature and don't have enough data to make a list.
I hope to have that in the near future.