Author Topic: Three small questions on FM3  (Read 3870 times)

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
Three small questions on FM3
« on: November 24, 2020, 04:41:57 AM »
Hello all -

-- Does the Mixer tab under Menu substitute now for what used to be "Multi" on FM2? How do I save, and load, a "multi"? I can't seem to get the Mixer page to do anything. [ although the MIX commands work great! ]

-- I know it's early in the game, but I imagine a software editor is planned maybe, i hope i hope, sometime in the future..?  :)

-- anyone else have trouble with rotary encoder #5 [bottom row, middle] not working?

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
Re: Three small questions on FM3
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:10:09 AM »
Hello,

Its probably issue on my side. Lets discuss through email and I will fix it for you!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:02:20 AM by served »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »
Hello all -
-- Does the Mixer tab under Menu substitute now for what used to be "Multi" on FM2? How do I save, and load, a "multi"?

Yes. It's imply called "Mixer" in the menu. So use the Mixer menu to load and save full mixer state. (It also saves the 6 instruments preset).

I can't seem to get the Mixer page to do anything. [ although the MIX commands work great! ]

Can you give more details ? I don't understand what is not working.
In case it's dont already done, upgrade to firmware 0.97.

-- I know it's early in the game, but I imagine a software editor is planned maybe, i hope i hope, sometime in the future..?  :)

You should try the preenfm2 editod as midi implementation should be compatible.
My goal is to have it working for both pfm2 & 3 in the next couple of month.

-- anyone else have trouble with rotary encoder #5 [bottom row, middle] not working?

As Ardi said above...

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »

Thanks all - Xavier, well, I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well. Then I would like to save that configuration of 5 different instruments, so I push Menu, and then Mixer, it gives me a page that says 1 <Empty> etc, and then a Select option below, but nothing happens when I do Select, and I can't seem to change anything except the Slot number for these multis, with encoder no. 1.

Served: thanks, I will be in touch!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 06:03:57 PM »

Thanks all - Xavier, well, I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well. Then I would like to save that configuration of 5 different instruments, so I push Menu, and then Mixer, it gives me a page that says 1 <Empty> etc, and then a Select option below, but nothing happens when I do Select, and I can't seem to change anything except the Slot number for these multis, with encoder no. 1.

Served: thanks, I will be in touch!

Oh, that makes me realize there's no Mixer bank in the zip file  :-\
You have to create a Mixer bank :
Menu > SD > CREATE > MIXER > SAVE

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
Super, thank you. That works very well. I should have been able to figure that out -- since the <Empty> prompt was greyed out.

Great synth!

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 12:51:46 AM »
I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well.

Wait- so you were able to load an instrument into slot 5?

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 01:56:06 AM »
No, that must have been working on one of the slots 1-4 . That message was from earlier I think where I didn't even have a Mixer file set up yet.

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 04:14:14 AM »
Not sure I understand. How did you get 5 instruments loaded and assigned to 5 MIDI channels, only using 4 instrument slots? Is there a way to load more than one instrument to a mixer slot?  Using program changes?
Maybe I am completely misunderstanding what you meant.

I was setting up five different instruments on different MIDI channels, controlling from a sequencer, and everything working really well.

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 05:01:36 AM »

Yeah that's unclear. What I was trying to say is I was actually trying to set up a bank of 6 preset sounds, one per slot per MIDI channel. I was building new preset sounds with Randomize going quite slowly, and then saving each of these as as presets. I was then loading them on different channels/slots on the mixer and I suppose I got to 4 and at that point tried to save as a Mixer [multi] file and got stymied. At that point I had no idea that slots 5 and 6 didn't work, or if I experienced that it was somehow mixed up with my frustration unsuccessfully trying to save a Mixer file. Not only that, but I had taken apart my whole unit because of a different issue and I wasn't sure that that wasn't still sketchy. In fact, until Xavier tells me, or maybe 5 other people weigh in to confirm, that slots 5 and 6 will have to be fixed/added in new firmware, I'm won't be 100% sure  ;D ;D  ::)

ericd

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 05:38:35 AM »
Ah- I get it now- thanks. I thought I was missing some clever workaround to load extra instruments!

I guess we are among the early adopters of the FM3 and will discover various bugs etc along the way. I can say this though, I don't know Xavier at all but based on this forum, he is incredibly committed to fixing them. Even though it must drive him insane, he has also been really clear that he needs the feedback from users in order to iron the bugs out. I wish I knew more about programming (i.e. anything) to be of more help.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 06:19:54 AM »
I guess we are among the early adopters of the FM3 and will discover various bugs etc along the way. I can say this though, I don't know Xavier at all but based on this forum, he is incredibly committed to fixing them. Even though it must drive him insane, he has also been really clear that he needs the feedback from users in order to iron the bugs out. I wish I knew more about programming (i.e. anything) to be of more help.

Yes, thanks a million times for that. That's really helful.