Author Topic: [Added in v0.101] poly pressure  (Read 7042 times)

lokki

• View Profile
[Added in v0.101] poly pressure
« on: December 09, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »
hi xavier,

this is for preenfm3:
would it be possible to add polyphonic aftertouch (a.k.a. polyphonic pressure) to the list of modulation sources? this would open up the synth considerably. if you are there i think it would be very nice to add some user-definable cc control as well. so let's say you define in global menu "control-x" = cc15, a user can then select cc15 in the mod matrix to modulate any parameter.

greetings
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:14:05 PM by Xavier »

kravening

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: poly pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:30:30 PM »
this is a planned feature yes! but i think you're gonna have to wait a little while.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 08:45:11 PM »
Thanks , did xavier say something about it somewhere or are you planning to implement it?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:33:50 PM »
Thanks , did xavier say something about it somewhere or are you planning to implement it?

I don't think so, but i thought many times about both poly aftertouch, and customizable CC  ;)

Customizable CC would only allow a subset of CC because many of them are already assigned by the preenfm.

Definitely on my list.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 09:36:00 PM »
yeah i understand about that. but think about it that way:

for perfomance and live usage the synth may have preprogrammed patches on it and one could disable cc control of the parameters in the menu. that would free up "all" cc messages to be choosen as sources for modulations.

poly aftertouch is just very nice because it allows modulation of individual notes in a polyphonic patch obviously :-)

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »
actually now that i think about it :-) i had user CC implemented on a custom preenfm2 firmware back in the days...

kravening

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:57:55 PM »
I don't think so, but i thought many times about both poly aftertouch, and customizable CC  ;)

woops sorry haha, i was thinking of the micromonsta 2  :-X

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »
I saw poly at in the mod matrix on 0.100z, but it does not work yet. should it? happy to test further in case it is needed...

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
I saw poly at in the mod matrix on 0.100z, but it does not work yet. should it? happy to test further in case it is needed...

Yes 0.100z is derived from my WIP 0.101 ;)

What does not work ?
How can i try that ? Any polyAT soft keyboard ?
I can only simulate poly AT. It was working with my small test.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 08:47:04 PM »
it just is not reacting to poly aftertouch if i set it in the mod matrix. i get no modulation. setting the same modulation to channel pressure it works.

how did you test? with puredata? i tested with puredata as well, and it is not working here.
will try again with my actual controller. the poly at is always bound to a specific note, so you have to take care of this in code as well, but i guess you are aware of that.

hmm, i don't know of any soft-keyboard that has poly-touch emulation.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 09:02:06 PM »
i only took a quick look at the code (the poly handling) so might be totally off, but:

you have:

Code: [Select]
this->synth->getTimbre(timbres[tk])->setMatrixChannelPressureSource(midiEvent.value[0], INV127 * midiEvent.value[1]);
value[0] is the poly_at value and value[1] is the note it is associated with. with the channel pressure code as reference, did you maybe switch value[0] and value[1]?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »
Code: [Select]
this->synth->getTimbre(timbres[tk])->setMatrixChannelPressureSource(midiEvent.value[0], INV127 * midiEvent.value[1]);value[0] is the poly_at value and value[1] is the note it is associated with. with the channel pressure code as reference, did you maybe switch value[0] and value[1]?

Yes that's the code.  :)
But what you describe is not what is written here :
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-1-summary-of-midi-message

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
you are right, i am wrong. i looked at the PureData implementation, where pressure is the first inlet, but looking at my controller code for teensy it becomes clear that indeed pressure is the second argument sent. hmm, so why does it not work. will try to find out :-)

how did you test?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
you are right, i am wrong. i looked at the PureData implementation, where pressure is the first inlet, but looking at my controller code for teensy it becomes clear that indeed pressure is the second argument sent. hmm, so why does it not work. will try to find out :-)
how did you test?

My 61SLmk3 can send After touch as PolyAfter on a single note that i specify.
So i used that and verified that the note i set was the only one to receive the Aftertouch info.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 09:57:51 PM »
can i send you a puredata patch to test? (do you still have it installed?)

i am looking at your setMatrixChannelPressureSource function and can't see anything wrong. hmm.