Author Topic: MPE?  (Read 3360 times)

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
MPE?
« on: December 12, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
Is MPE a possibility with the preen 3 at some point? Would be a great option imo.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MPE?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 09:54:44 PM »

Yes MPE is possible with both preenfm2 and 3.

You get a 4 voices instrument with pfm2 and 6 voices with preenfm3.
Just load the same preset in all instrument, then set the global midi channel to the one you want to use (usually 1).
And set channel 2,3,4... for the instrument 1,2,3 etc...
Control change 74 (brightness) is supported in pfm2, i just realized it's missing in pfm3. I will add.

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »

Yes MPE is possible with both preenfm2 and 3.

You get a 4 voices instrument with pfm2 and 6 voices with preenfm3.
Just load the same preset in all instrument, then set the global midi channel to the one you want to use (usually 1).
And set channel 2,3,4... for the instrument 1,2,3 etc...
Control change 74 (brightness) is supported in pfm2, i just realized it's missing in pfm3. I will add.

Many thanks for the reply, that's great - it's similar to how I set up MPE in the xpander. Is there any chance it will ever be taken a step further so that all six voices (with the 3) can be edited as one, so that you can tweak the parameters of all six voices at the same time?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »

A step further would be not be limited to the 6 instruments.
And have a smarter MPE with 15 notes.

Would be great  :)

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 04:08:27 PM »
MPE is all about expression, so basically it is one polyphonic instrument with many polyphonic expressions. because of the limitations of midi (that only allows one expression per note, i.e. poly aftertouch) they implemented the channel rotation thing. it's a bit of a mess actually. so probably it would be possible to ignore the channel for note on/off and save the channel alongside the pitch so that you can then assign the cc and pitchbend info to the correct note.

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 09:26:47 AM »

A step further would be not be limited to the 6 instruments.
And have a smarter MPE with 15 notes.

Would be great  :)

It would - to have bitimbrality would be a huge bonus and integrate nicely with controllers like the linnstrument that allow for left and right splits. The sensel morph can be worked in this way too... I guess it's all about configuring the controller channel?

I'm not sure how much of a mess MPE is - it's great at what it does on the synths I've used where integrated. Pressure/aftertouch and bend, velocity per note... but yes, each note or voice needs its own channel. 

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:13:50 AM »
they did what they could within the given protocol (MIDI) but it is obvious that midi was never thought to be used that way, hence the whole channel rotation "mess"