Author Topic: PreenFM 3 Getting Started  (Read 4557 times)

tayfreels

• Team member
    • View Profile
PreenFM 3 Getting Started
« on: December 17, 2020, 06:09:01 PM »
Hey all,

just getting my PreenFM 3 kit assembled. I'm sure this is a relatively obvious question and its probably located in this forum somewhere, but how many of the jumper need to be installed on the back of the main board. I have jumpers for "DC IN" "USBGND" and "USB5V." I get both orange/green lights showing when USB and DC plugged in, so assuming it's getting sufficient power.  I see there's two more jumper locations 3.3v and 5v, do these need to be placed? Image attached below https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DVSPAXakP_wXmA6zzWSj3T3JOTcWFAEg/view

Next goal is to get this recognized on WebUSB DFU. Am using a Mac, but seems the device doesnt show appropriately when using my Chrome browser and WebUSB DFU. Has anyone successfully flashed using a Mac? Curious to know your methods. (jumper is placed between VCC DFU and Boot0)

I am mainly going off the page below
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/wiki/Flash

Any help is appreciated

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM 3 Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 06:43:56 PM »

Hi,

DCIn is where you can add a switch if you want a switch on/off button. Or a jumper.

If you want to power from USB you need USB5V and USBGND.
Remove USB5V only if you need midi data but with 9V DCIn supply.
Makes sens ?

I know it's confusing, but 5V, GND and 3V3 GND are not Jumper. Just pins where you can get this voltage.

It works on my macbook, the device is called "DFU in FS Mode".

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 07:18:35 PM »
Assembly instructions available on Van Daal electronics webshop page.

tayfreels

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »
Thanks guys, noticed I was going off the wrong assembly guide.

I have soldered PA0 PA1 PA2 PA3 PC4 PC5

Would this explain my preen's inability to connect to WebUSB DFU?
Should I desolder these/cut the headers?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 08:36:44 PM »
I have soldered PA0 PA1 PA2 PA3 PC4 PC5
Should I desolder these/cut the headers?

No it's OK.
It useless buts allow you access CPU pins on the top if you want to customize your control board.

If WebUSB does not work, you can try entering directly the command of the zip file in a terminal.
You have to install "dfu-util" first.

tayfreels

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 12:26:20 AM »
Hey guys, some updates. So I finally can get the preen to show up on WEBUSB DFU, but only momentarily. A few times i've gotten through the bootloader download but with the end result in error message "DFU GETSTATUS failed: stall"

I've noticed DFU in FS Mode will go in and out of being a selectable option, meaning my connection is not stable. Getting this result intermittently "DFU GETSTATUS failed: ControlTransferIn failed: NotFoundError: The device was disconnected."

Any idea? I thought it may be some left over solder flux so I've cleaned a bit off and same results.

I do noticed the blue light on the front PCB now flashing. Almost there it seems.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:36:07 AM by tayfreels »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 06:08:13 AM »
Hey guys, some updates. So I finally can get the preen to show up on WEBUSB DFU, but only momentarily. A few times i've gotten through the bootloader download but with the end result in error message "DFU GETSTATUS failed: stall"

I've noticed DFU in FS Mode will go in and out of being a selectable option, meaning my connection is not stable. Getting this result intermittently "DFU GETSTATUS failed: ControlTransferIn failed: NotFoundError: The device was disconnected."

Any idea? I thought it may be some left over solder flux so I've cleaned a bit off and same results.

Can be a bad contact in the USB connector.
Hav you tried another USB cable ?

I do noticed the blue light on the front PCB now flashing. Almost there it seems.

The front PCB ? You mean on the control board ?
It means the bootloader is running.
You should see something on your display.

Nic

tayfreels

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »
Yes the blue light on the control board and blue light on the main board will flash even though I get the error message ""DFU GETSTATUS failed: stall." Does this still mean the bootloader was successfully downloaded?

I unplug the USB cable, switch the jumper for boot0 to GND and power up the Preen with no sign of the bootloader registering on the screen. I notice the blue light both on the main board and control board will flash a few times then disappear.

any idea?

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 04:41:02 PM »
Did you press the top left button (near to the display) this will load the bootloader screen...

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 05:20:40 PM »
You have flashed the bootloader but not the firmware.
So yes press the MENU button while switching on :

Now you can follow "Flash the pfm3 firmware" here :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/wiki/Flash#flash-the-pfm3-firmware