Author Topic: PreenFM3 V0.101 not showing as mass storage device in W10  (Read 6523 times)

Robrock

• Team member
    • View Profile
PreenFM3 V0.101 not showing as mass storage device in W10
« on: December 23, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
The PreenFM3 unit is not recognised as a usb device nor can I get the SD card showing in the explorer as a storage device. I think I set it up right.

Config > USB Midi > set to in /out

The PreenFM2 editor does see the PreenFM3

forestcaver

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM3 V0.101 not showing as mass storage device in W10
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »
There is a known bug with usb.... Xavier has been looking into it - not sure if yours is the same issue (as it can be seen by the editor)

Robrock

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »
OK I thought this should have been fixed in the V0.101 update, thats why i thought I should mention it. Taking out the SD card, means taking the unit out of its metal enclosure. That's not what you want to do for every update. Leaving the bottom halve off means there is a risk of damaging the main board, so that is not an option either. I gues I'll have to cut a slot in the metal enclosure to get acces to the SD card to fix this for now.

forestcaver

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
It doesnt work for me on v0.101 either if that helps ! (I suspect it is a firmware issue as DFU works fine so the hardware is ok)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 03:43:04 PM »
@Robrock : Seeing the SD card from your computer through USB is only accessible trough bootloader
Hold MENU down while turning on your pfm3.
It has nothing to do with the firmware version.
Check you your version of the bootloader. The latest version is 1.07.
Once in the bootloader you have to press "Button 3 : SD card access" to start the Mass storage service.

@forestcaver : from what i understand  your problem concerns Midi over USB which does not work.
So that's a totally different problem. You're right : if DFU works then the hardware is OK. It's a driver problem on your machine or on the pfm3.
For both Lokki and me, v0.101 fixed the USB midi problem at 100%. And from what Robrock wrote, it also works for him.
So your problem must be a different one.
Can you try on another computer ?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:54:47 PM by Xavier »

Robrock

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 05:33:13 PM »
Thank you Xavier will try that. Bootloader version is 1.07, didnt Know the SD card is only accessible through the bootloader.  Maybe you can add this info in the documentation on the wiki, the chapter "SD card" is very short at  the moment  :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »

OK will add that, thanks.
What you need is this page :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/wiki/Flash

Scroll to the bottom  : "Flash the pfm3 firmware"

Robrock

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
Xavier I thought you had to do that only the first time. Taking the SD card out of the unit with the steel enclosure is a problem. You have to cut off  halve of the SD card cover and mount it int he SD card slot under the TFT in order to assemble the case.
Than you have problem 1 (no grip on the card anymore. Secondly there is no SD card slot in the metal housing. So I would like to have a way to write data on the SD card without removing from the cardslot on the TFT.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »
Xavier I thought you had to do that only the first time. Taking the SD card out of the unit with the steel enclosure is a problem. You have to cut off  halve of the SD card cover and mount it int he SD card slot under the TFT in order to assemble the case.
Than you have problem 1 (no grip on the card anymore. Secondly there is no SD card slot in the metal housing. So I would like to have a way to write data on the SD card without removing from the cardslot on the TFT.

The case is designed and sold by Van Daal Electronics, not by me  ;)
The 3D printed case i designed have a SD card slot.

But you should be able to to access the SD card from your computer without  removing the SD card if you have bootloader 1.07.
Once in the bootloader, press "Button 3 : SD card access".
You have to be patient, after 20 seconds, your SD card will show up on your computer and you can copy the firmware on it.

Then unmount on your computer and press Exit.

forestcaver

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 08:32:05 PM »

@forestcaver : from what i understand  your problem concerns Midi over USB which does not work.
So that's a totally different problem. You're right : if DFU works then the hardware is OK. It's a driver problem on your machine or on the pfm3.
For both Lokki and me, v0.101 fixed the USB midi problem at 100%. And from what Robrock wrote, it also works for him.
So your problem must be a different one.
Can you try on another computer ?

Hi Xavier - it’s the same on another computer (but that is another macbook pro running the same os version).
PreenFM2 is visible and preenfm3 is visible via dfu but not visible when booted up and running latest fw

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 08:21:43 AM »
You can use usb SD card reader. I get them for 2€ locally. And you have all the grip that you need. You can also put a piece of tape on the SD card to pull it out from your computer and leave the tape on. As it will fold in the metal case. So no grip issues.

forestcaver

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »

Hi @Xavier - thanks - got it working on v1.02 - it was user error.... it was my misunderstanding (in the absence of schematics) what the USB-GND jumper did - I had left it off making a silly assumption it was a digital/analog GND-lift to reduce noise from USB GND (I am using a DC power supply to power the pFM3). Once I connected it, it all worked fine. I still have the USB-5V jumper disconnected - not sure if that should be connected as well - I had assumed it disconnected supply *from* the USB. Maybe I should connect it so I can power USB devices. (Does the pFM3 act as a USB host ?)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:34:55 PM by forestcaver »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 04:36:13 PM »
Oh OK. Thanks for the update.
I didn't think about that, and i really expected the USB connection to work without the GND connected, as USB is a single differential pair.
That's good to know !

No the pfm3 only acts as a USB device.

forestcaver

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 04:47:14 PM »
Oh OK. Thanks for the update.
I didn't think about that, and i really expected the USB connection to work without the GND connected, as USB is a single differential pair.

I expected it to work without being connected too (and was assuming the USB-GND jumper was to avoid USB noise) !! (Would you be able to share a schematic by any chance ? Happy if it’s via PM and I wont share it - also happy if you dont want to). I just thought I’d try it as your image on the wiki has it connected and I couldnt think of anything else (when connecting over DFU I had been powering via USB and had connected the GND). It wouldnt connect without it jumpered and works fine every time with it jumpered. I still have 5v DC not-jumpered....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:52:12 PM by forestcaver »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 05:08:01 PM »
I expected it to work without being connected too (and was assuming the USB-GND jumper was to avoid USB noise) !! (Would you be able to share a schematic by any chance ? Happy if it’s via PM and I wont share it - also happy if you dont want to). I just thought I’d try it as your image on the wiki has it connected and I couldnt think of anything else (when connecting over DFU I had been powering via USB and had connected the GND). It wouldnt connect without it jumpered and works fine every time with it jumpered. I still have 5v DC not-jumpered....

Yes, the goal was to avoid noise. But from you experience it seems to be required for Data (i still have to try ;) )
Keep the 5V un-jumpered if you use a DCIn power, that avoids noise and also avoid 5V conflict (from the 7805 and from the USB) !

Sorry, I won't share the full schema for the moment.
Here is the power/jumper part.