Author Topic: "proper" MPE support for preenfm3  (Read 11165 times)

lokki

• View Profile
Re: "proper" MPE support for preenfm3
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 12:55:57 AM »
I thought about that too. But if i don't include 1 it seems it's free for other instrument.
Could be "1+2-5" but takes space.

but "global midi" is not only reserved for MPE, so even if you don't have MPE enabled you can still have it enabled and use it.
and in reverse you could still use channel 1 for another sound with limited options i guess (no pitchbend, no aftertouch, but simple note on and off should not affect the MPE voices)

what about (1)2-5?

i use a self-made midi bass controller, that supports MPE since my latest update :-) but i plan on getting a LinnStrument if i can find one second-hand and thus a bit cheaper...

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
but "global midi" is not only reserved for MPE, so even if you don't have MPE enabled you can still have it enabled and use it.

The channel 1 for MPE is different from the "global midi" you can define in Mixer>Global>Global Midi.
MPE global channel 1 is hardcoded.

"Global Midi" channel (Mixer>Global>Global Midi)  will send midi it receives to ALL instruments except MPE (maybe i should include MPE ??).
See line 218, 226, 240 here : https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/blob/v107/firmware/Src/midi/MidiDecoder.cpp?ts=4#L218

It's currently a bit confusing, but this is not something you have to modify often.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:24:19 AM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 01:20:35 PM »
Ah ok, i see. Makes sense. Maybe there could be an indicator in the preset Name when instrument 1 is a MPE instrument. This would be visible in all of the MIX submenus. Just add (MPE) after or before the preset name.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 11:23:31 PM »
A further comment:

I would suggest to have in the global menu, next to MPE instrument on off also the MPEpitchbend range, which is settable to 12 24 36 and 48 semitones (ithink those are the most common). And if MPE instrument is enabled, this bend range is automatically applied to o*fh, since I fail to see a MPE preset where no voice pitchbend is implemented. That is also the reason it should happen automatically, it's kind of inheritent to MPE...

Pitch MPE could still be a matrix source, for other things...

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 10:27:10 PM »
Yes that's a good idea.
To make it simple and save one line in the global page, i may go to "Off", "MPE48", "MPE36", "MPE24", "MPE12", "MPE0" For "MPE Inst1" option.
MPE0 would allow to define any bitchebend using the matrix.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:33:32 PM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 11:21:50 PM »
That is a good solution as well!!

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 11:14:46 AM »
something i noticed while playing with it some more, it is really fun!

-note shift does not work when instrument1 is in MPE mode. preferred solution would be to just shift all incoming MPE channels when instrument 1 shift is used.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
something i noticed while playing with it some more, it is really fun!

-note shift does not work when instrument1 is in MPE mode. preferred solution would be to just shift all incoming MPE channels when instrument 1 shift is used.

OK this one is easy to fix :)
Thanks

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 02:28:33 PM »
Here is v0.107 beta 3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RVpGvL56s3j0LkuRu6Wx_Uo7_nBGpKVA/view?usp=sharing

. "MPE" displayed in small chars beside Instrument 1 name in the mixer if MPE is enabled
. Global settings "Inst1 MPE" now has 6 options "No", "MPE48", "MPE3648", "MPE24", "MPE12", "MPE0" => MPE pitchbend is automatically added
. "CC74" matrix source renamed "74 MPE" and moved beside other MPE sources
. Midi note shift fixed for MPE instrument
. Fix a voice allocation bug that could crash the pfm3

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:28:13 PM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 07:31:18 PM »
all seems to work fine, great!

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 08:13:32 AM »
The general pitchbend now also has the broader range of 48 semitones, not sure that was intended, but I like it. It will break existing presets though...

Nevermind, it's all good
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:17:52 AM by lokki »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 11:21:52 AM »
The general pitchbend now also has the broader range of 48 semitones, not sure that was intended, but I like it. It will break existing presets though...

Nevermind, it's all good

Just for other people that follow this thread : the general pitchbend must be definied in the matrix as it is for non-MPE instrument.
The only auto-wired modulation is the MPE "pitchbend per channel".

Thanks again Lokki for all your suggestions and tests on this feature.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 12:08:45 PM »
The oscillator section fine-tune and broad tune only work once a new note is played, changes while a note is sounding have no effect. Is this supposed to be that way? (Not strictly MPE related) for sound design it would be beneficial to have the change applied immediately.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »

Yes this is how it works.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 09:48:40 PM »
a thought on unison.

for the near future, if voices of a patch (MPE or regular poly) is smaller then the max voice count of preenfm3 (by a factor of at least two) you could add one unison voice theoretically, no?

so for example:

a 4 voice MPE synth sound could have 4*4 voices (4 unison voices per voice) to get the maximum of 16 voices.

-unison voices don't need their own fx path, they could be added together before any filter/fx. maybe that could boost the voice count a little?

a second idea is to have a unison "fake" module. i had pretty good results with a small delay line (around 50ms) and a couple of read-heads that simply start in different positions of the delay-buffer. if you then also modulate the read-speed a little you can get pretty good results (chorus)