Author Topic: "proper" MPE support for preenfm3  (Read 11171 times)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "proper" MPE support for preenfm3
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
a thought on unison.
for the near future, if voices of a patch (MPE or regular poly) is smaller then the max voice count of preenfm3 (by a factor of at least two) you could add one unison voice theoretically, no?
so for example:
a 4 voice MPE synth sound could have 4*4 voices (4 unison voices per voice) to get the maximum of 16 voices.
-unison voices don't need their own fx path, they could be added together before any filter/fx. maybe that could boost the voice count a little?
a second idea is to have a unison "fake" module. i had pretty good results with a small delay line (around 50ms) and a couple of read-heads that simply start in different positions of the delay-buffer. if you then also modulate the read-speed a little you can get pretty good results (chorus)

All this is for sure doable. (except delay that likely requires more RAM that the pfm3 have).
But I don't think i'll spend time on that in the near future.

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 08:45:43 AM »
Hi.

What would be the cheapest hardware controllor for PreenFM with MPE support?
I have seen the USB versions a lot. But not with DIN5 midi out.
Any suggestions?

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 09:56:24 AM »
Define cheap. For about 1000 Euro or a little less you can get a Linnstrument 128 which has din-midi

The qunexus keyboards (keith mc millen) have din midi (via adapter) and a kind of MPE mode, no pitchshifting/sliding from one to the other key, but pressure and position sensors. Those are much cheaper (around 150 i guess)

But it should be easy enough to program an arduino with an usb host shield (or a teensy) to send usb-midi to serial midi output....