Author Topic: Scala files dont occupy full keyrange - dont think its Continu/Keybrd setting  (Read 3139 times)

-CALC-

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hello,

Apologies if this is a total user error misunderstanding. I've checked out the forum to the best of my ability and haven't seen this crop up as a question before.

I've been using the rather wonderful Leimma online tool to make some tuning systems, handily these spit out .scl exports too. If you haven't tried it and have a little interest in microtonalities you really should. https://isartum.net/leimma

Anyways when I upload these .scl to both Preen FM2 and Preen FM3 the scales only occupy the keyboard area from C3-C4 (C3 being middle C). I've tried the Keyboard and continuous settings in the Preen Scala Set up but this seems to have no affect.

I've attached a created 12 note .scl file of an example of this.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong in my scala exports, if I load a file from the big world folder of readily available Scala's then the whole keyboard range is filled out but I'm a little more interested in creating my own systems these days.
Also if I load the same .scl file into the Novation Summit the whole keyboard range is occupied as I would expect (this is regardless of the TuningMode (8ve/note) setting in Summit  which is more aimed at scale creation on the synth itself).

So I wonder if anybody else has come across this and knows if there is a fix or something I should do differently to get the scale mapped across the whole keyboard range.
Thanks in anticipation

-CALC-

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
hi,
i came across this problem lately.
If I'm not mistaken, it seems that scala files using ratio format have this behaviour, the ones with cents format do work well.

I'm far from a preenfm right now so i can't investigate more.

Thanks for the Leimma tool link, it is a very nice tool !
Another tool of same kind is the scaleworkshop from Sevish : https://sevish.com/scaleworkshop/

you may try this tool to convert ratio to cents, and see if it work better :
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:53:15 PM by Toltekradiation »

-CALC-

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hey Toltekradiation

Thanks for the info.... and although I now don't believe it's based around reading cent values only your reply was really useful.....
I think I have found the culprit.

After reading your post I experimented a little. Leimma thankfully has the ability to display as ratios or cents (albeit to no decimal places but never mind) so I edited the .scl to have cents instead....
Same Problem  :(

So whilst text editing the .scl files, I then thought to compare the text format on a known working .scls with those of Leimma. Leimma outputs a slightly different layout than the files I know to work so I adjusted the format to be the same and whaddyaknow... it works.

I then kind of reversed what I'd done to try and work out the exact format... from what I can see it needs the following convention:
(Interestingly it didn't work until I put the line break in between ! and #description#)

So from my deductions here's an example

! #name#.scl
!
#description#
 4 (or however many notes are in the scale)
!
#ratio
#ratio
#or cents
#etc....
2/1

I am not an expert by any means in .scl files so I really hope that this is correct and not giving folks any misdirection!!! In any case it seemingly works properly for me now so I think I can create tuning systems to my hearts content.

Thanks again for your help.... I definitely wouldn't have gotten there without your suggestion ;)

-CALC-

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
hi -CALC- ,
that's good news !

though, the .scl from your original post seems correct ; this file has UNIX line breaks style (no CR), but this should be fine  ???

for reference, here is the file format description : http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/scl_format.html