PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

[FIXED] pfm2 Eurorack : DIY help, frozen screen

<< < (3/4) > >>

lokki:
i would definitely start by just reheating all the preenf405 socket connections. remove the preenf405 first then reheat all the connections on the sockets, make sure they make good clean solder blops. do you have a multimeter?

did you solder the preenf405 headers on your own? this would be my next guess for failure.

served:
Hello.

Preenf405 is assembled by me and tested and run and confimed to be working.
I hand soldered the Pinstrips. You can have a look at it, but I am sure they look good, as I am very strict on the soldering quality.
So I would think its something else. Look over the 20pin sockets where the preenf405 is sitting.
Look over the USB Drive connector, make sure there is no excess stress on it.

The USB stick with that patch is not cheap chineese crap that brakes. So I am sure that the stick is good.
The stick has been formated from 64GB to 1GB and FAT32 so that PreenFM can read it.
Dont change it.

Is your 5V coming from your eurorack bus or from the onboard regulator?

Remove the screen and make visual inspection on all solder points. Make sure there are no shorts.

zmberber:

--- Quote from: lokki on October 28, 2020, 08:21:28 AM ---i would definitely start by just reheating all the preenf405 socket connections. remove the preenf405 first then reheat all the connections on the sockets, make sure they make good clean solder blops. do you have a multimeter?

--- End quote ---
yes i have a multimeter.  i thought i did have clean solder blops, i thought i paid attention but i will do as you say and try that.

--- Quote from: lokki on October 28, 2020, 08:21:28 AM ---did you solder the preenf405 headers on your own? this would be my next guess for failure.

--- End quote ---

no i didn't, the headers were presoldered by van daal electronics.  i don't know if they test it there (solder headers, then check with a socket of a working module etc EDIT: yes they do, see message by served).  but i did think about that too.

zmberber:

--- Quote from: served on October 28, 2020, 11:55:34 AM ---Look over the USB Drive connector, make sure there is no excess stress on it.

--- End quote ---
It is angled slightly upwards, as you suggested in your instructions, and you are right, it won't fit otherwise.  What do you mean by stress?  It seems like the connectors are soldered well, and the drive connector is stable, but I can still check that.

--- Quote from: served on October 28, 2020, 11:55:34 AM ---The stick has been formated from 64GB to 1GB and FAT32 so that PreenFM can read it.
Dont change it.

--- End quote ---

Hm... I didn't change the partitioning, I just reformated the (only existent) partition itself (vfat) and copied the pfm2 folder onto the root directory again.  So there should be no problems there.  Also, it did read the stick, it just froze again.

--- Quote from: served on October 28, 2020, 11:55:34 AM ---Is your 5V coming from your eurorack bus or from the onboard regulator?

--- End quote ---

The 5V is coming from the Eurorack bus, which I selected via the jumper.

served:
Great!

Remove all the IC-s from the sockets.
Keep the preenf405 and USB stick in place and try to boot. See what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version