PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

[Resolved in 2.05B4] Pitchbend response?

(1/4) > >>

cube48:
Hi,

I've built my second PreenFM2 kit, this time no single issue. Thanks to Xavier and Van Daal Electronics!

I'm using it with Linnstrument which allows Pitchbends up/down to +24/-24 semitones. My finding is that PreenFM2 has non-linear Pitchbend response. It bends down much faster then bending up from center position.

My setting in Modulation matrix:
Pitchbend > 10.00 > o*Fq

Linnstrument Pitchbend setting:
+-12 semitones (I've tried 10 semitones and other values too but not getting me any closer)

I still have to experiment more with this. Could it be that the operator's frequency (PB * Matrix multiplier) just doesn't correspond to any musical intervals (i.e. notes)?

Is there a way to set the Pitchbend response to a standard musical range in semitones?

How exactly is the Pitchbend value coming from the controller used in the Modulation matrix formula?

Thanks a lot in advance for any insights.

P.S.: PreenFM2 already is awesome with expressive possibilities of Linnstrument! FM comes alive under your fingers (Velocity+ModWheel + Aftertouch on every single pad!)

Xavier:

Hi,

The bitchbend is a midi value not linked to any frequency and is interpreted by the synth.
So i don't really understand what the Linnstrument (midi controller) change when you specify the number of semitones for the pitchbend.

But what you say is intersting and true.
The preenFM2 pitchbend is different from the standard pitchbend effect. And maybe in a not-so-good way.
That's something i'd like to work on (when i have free time).

Best,

Xavier

cube48:
Xavier, thanks for your reply.
I understand that Pitchband is specific MIDI control type with higher resolution then regular CC's. Different synths have different maximum PB ranges. Some have only 2 semitones, others up to 24 semitones PB range or more, often definable as a part of individual patch/sound. Linnstrument has no PB wheel but you can slide horizontally with your fingers over several pads, generating standard PB control messages. Linnstrument allows you to define the maximum PB range and if it corresponds to the synth range setting you'll get consistent PB response - 1 pad = 1 semitone so you can play continuous PB slides chromatically.
I was kind of suspecting that the PB response of PFM2 is not a simple affair as it is in the very nature of FM to produce inharmonic frequencies easily.
Thanks in advance for any effort!

cube48:
Xavier, I know it's not a lot but I would pay 50 EUR for just for getting the Pitchbend properly implemented on PreenFM2. Would that motivate you to spend some effort on this? Thanks for all your great work!

Xavier:

--- Quote from: cube48 on August 18, 2016, 07:34:05 PM ---Xavier, I know it's not a lot but I would pay 50 EUR for just for getting the Pitchbend properly implemented on PreenFM2. Would that motivate you to spend some effort on this? Thanks for all your great work!

--- End quote ---

That's very nice of you. But you can keep your money  ;)
I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't kill the performance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version