PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

New filters

<< < (25/26) > >>

Xavier:
I went through all the filters.
Thanks again for al the work you put into this.  :)

Here are the notes i wrote down, please let me know if they're expected behaviour or algo problems.

BP2 : Q? Just increase volume ?

Peak : Res : usefull between .8 and 1.0
 Res: something strange when changed from .99 to 1.00

Notch : Freq Max = 8Khz ?
Res : Small impact

BpDs : instable at Res = 1.0

Pann : pos = panning ? not sure. Lots of frequency impact from 0 to 1!
Spread = ?

Sat : digital noise. Is it how it's suposed to sound ?

LpSn : What does Pos do ?
Inverse both to target Freq in the matrix ?

Note4 : low pass filter on Freq param ?

18db : res smaller when freq smaller

La+d I like this one, are the other ones usefull ? This one seems to sound better.

Also this recent commit worries me :
https://github.com/pvig/preenfm2/commit/158e858c436270d610b4066bbafeebea9fc6180b
Removing velocity which was a value between 0 and 127 since the beggning can only make a big changes to all those filters.
As everybody tried and liked the filters before this change, i'm wondering the impact this has.

Toltekradiation:
hi Xavier,
don't worry about the recent commit : i tried to make allpass filter frequency velocity dependant, was not useful, it was a regression ; last commit just put it back to a previous state.

BP2 : yes it doesn't work very well, it was a attempt to double sampling the original algo.

Peak: ok, i modified the reso curve response. there a small click when reso = 1, could not get rid of yet...

Notch: the resonance has expected behaviour, but, yes , this algo don't go very very high

BpDs : self oscillation is not expected, i modified this in my last commit

Pann : this one is a mixture of panning and 3x lowpass with different frequency spread around f

Sat : yes, it is a very simple digital distortion, sounds as expected.

LpSn : pos is an offset for a transfer function, add distortion, depending on pos and number of voices played. i let param1 control it to allow variable distortion. try it on a pure sin poly patch to use it a its best.

Not4 : quad notch filters, use it with a slow lfo for phasing effect

18db : ok, fixed this in last commit

La+d: ok, yes the ladder filter department is quite crowded, why not removing Lad+, Diod and L+d+

about the h3o+ (tb like) : i reworked the dynamics and accent circuit in one of my last commit if you want to check it out.

Xavier:
Cool, thanks for your reply.

I think i won't integrate the following :
. Xor, Txr1, Txr2, LPx1, LPx2 : Cannot get anything else than digital noise.
. BP2 : "does not work very well". Not sure it brings something interesting beside the other BP.
. Lad+, Diod and L+d+ : I maybe wrong but i think LA+d is enough and sounded better in my test.
. I hesitate for SAT.

If you or someone else has a strong opinion that i'm making a mistake not taking some of them, please argue and teach me how to get them sounding !
I'll release a new firmware hopefully this year.

I'm also working on the editor.
The new version of the editor will have the filter list in a xml file so people will be able to use your firmware with as many filters as you want.
Only the xml will have to be modified to have a working editor with additional filters.
You can continue your experiences  :)

observer:
I agree. Some of these filters are a lot more useful than others. I'd rather not have to scroll through a long list to get to the ones that give me anything other than glitched signals. Quality over quantity any day.

maki:
Toltekradiation, thank you for everything! If you are done with filters and still have some extra energy to work, could you then make:
1)a tracking generator for each slot in Modulation Matrix?
2)paraphonic properties in Preenfm2? A counter counts the number of held/active notes and this value changes something in a modmatrix output.
3)Or you could subtract notenumber of those held notes/the time difference between the held notes and use those values further in modmatrix outputs.
4)Or you could use the speed of incomming note on/cc events to change something in modmatrix output.
Maki

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version