PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

resisitor network orientation?

<< < (3/3)

benjaminr:
Hello!
...ya, sorry for the novel, I think I went a litttttle deep into project mode that night. :S
I'm using an LCD screen, just a cheap one.
Checked the 68ohm resistor with a multimeter and it was bang on, continuity was fine. I shorted the OLED resistor with a resistor leg.
Yes. Sigh. I did install that led backwards. :P
One thing I'll do is go over the flux again, in the light of the flash on the pics i see that I left alot more on the than I thought.
Haven't tried anything with the preenf405 yet, probably won't get a chance until tomorrow night.
Here's some pics! The buttons I used probably seem like a weird choice, but I make my own panels so little round holes are much easier to achieve with the tools available to me!

Xavier:

With a LCD display you need the RV1 (variable resistor) to adjust the LCD contrast. Without it you have a black screen.
Do you see some backlight on the LCD when you switch on ?

You also need a USB key with the "pfm2/" folder on it. Else you'll have only white square on the LCD.
Without USB you can press a button while switching on and you'll enter bootloader mode, which will allow you to check the LCD.

benjaminr:
Oh! Excellent, that's a lead. My screen is blank (no white squares) but is backlit. I'm hoping so hard it's just that my contrast is just "turned down".
Forgot to answer your other question, the preen does make a small pop when powered on (no start up sound though), though I'll check again after work, as I easily coughs have forgotten to turn up the volume pot or something.
I've tried formatting the usb as fat 32 and fat 16, each time putting the pfm2 folder on the root of the drive, but I haven't tried a new usb stick yet. I'll pick one up hopefully today.
Might not get a chance to get to the component store for the variable resistor before the weekend, since I work until after it closes, but I'll see if I can sneak over on lunch or something.
Thanks so much!

benjaminr:
Ok! So, looks like my screen wasn't blank, just invisible. VR1 did the trick!
May be worth adding a note in the build instructions for other cheapskates like me lol.

But now it seems I'm stuck on the bootloader. It always boots directly onto that screen in the pic (no splash or animation or anything), and no button presses seem to do anything. I've checked all the pushbuttons (including the encoders) several times with a multimeter, and they seem to be functioning properly (open unless pressed, then closed). I have lots of regular tac switches, so I can try swapping them out, but I can't see why the ones I'm using wouldn't work, and it wouldn't work as well for the asthetic I'm going for to match my other panels. Worth a go if it seems promising to you though.

Gonna keep looking for a different usb stick to try, bought a three pack not too long ago, so they gotta be around somewhere.

benjaminr:
DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!
Turns out im an idiot and wired my buttons sideways, so the Preen thought they were always being pressed, hence bootloader mode!
Flipped them around and it's running great!! Thanks Xavier for all your help, very happy playing with it so far, excited to start programming voices and really lean into it!!
:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version