PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

Future availabilty on PreenFM2, want one but need to save up and other question?

<< < (2/3) > >>

toneburst:
@widdly cool!

Sorry to derail, but do you happen to have any tips on creating drum (especially kick) patches on the Preen? I've noticed none of the DX-7 drum patches sound anything like drums on the PFM2. I guess other methods have to be used to create these kind of sounds.

a|x

widdly:
The preen can do huge kicks.  Unlike the DX7, the envelopes are really fast and you can modulate pitch on each operator separately.   

A basic kick is two separate parts so find an algo with 2 separate pairs of fm operators {can't remember the number). 

The boom of the kick is a sine with fixed frequency at around 70hz.   No attack and sustain, short decay and release.  Set the extra envelope1 to modulate the pitch on op1.  Set it to no attack or sustain and even shorted decay and release and set the depth to something quite high.  This should give the basic kick sound.  Use can add in a little fm for flavour and grit.  Tweak the envelope decays and pitch envelope depth to taste.

The second oscillator pair will add the beater.   This is the click sound at the start of the kick.  It is called "attack" on a 909.   Set both fixed frequency waves around 1khz with a fair bit modulation.  Set the envelope to no attack, sustain and release and use a really really short decay.  Basically this should generate a click sound.  Adjust the decay and the modulation amount until you like it.  Set the volume of the click lower than the boom.

Add the bass bost filter.  You could map the volume, boom decay, bass boost frequency and click level to p1..p4 which would give similar controls to 909 kick.

Xavier:

--- Quote from: widdly on August 28, 2014, 03:15:41 AM ---The preen can do huge kicks.  Unlike the DX7, the envelopes are really fast and you can modulate pitch on each operator separately.   

A basic kick is two separate parts so find an algo with 2 separate pairs of fm operators {can't remember the number). 

The boom of the kick is a sine with fixed frequency at around 70hz.   No attack and sustain, short decay and release.  Set the extra envelope1 to modulate the pitch on op1.  Set it to no attack or sustain and even shorted decay and release and set the depth to something quite high.  This should give the basic kick sound.  Use can add in a little fm for flavour and grit.  Tweak the envelope decays and pitch envelope depth to taste.

The second oscillator pair will add the beater.   This is the click sound at the start of the kick.  It is called "attack" on a 909.   Set both fixed frequency waves around 1khz with a fair bit modulation.  Set the envelope to no attack, sustain and release and use a really really short decay.  Basically this should generate a click sound.  Adjust the decay and the modulation amount until you like it.  Set the volume of the click lower than the boom.

Add the bass bost filter.  You could map the volume, boom decay, bass boost frequency and click level to p1..p4 which would give similar controls to 909 kick.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for this  :D

toneburst:
Perfect, thank you Widdly!

a|x

Ny-Lon Juice:
Thanks for all the replies, I think I want one, the YT video of it sounds good and I like the tone, not worried it is not exactly like a vintage DX...I really like it's tiny footprint too! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version