Author Topic: PreenVST 2.00.B3 (OSX Version available).  (Read 59223 times)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PreenVST 2.00.B3 (OSX Version available).
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »
Hi,

Here are the VST version for windows.
http://xhosxe.free.fr/PreenFM/VST/
Chose the win32 for 32 bits and x64 for the 64 bits version.

August 16th : OSX version !
This is 2.00.B3 version so it requires a 2.00.B3 firmware.
The VST for OSX should work for both 32 and 64 bits host and osx 10.5 and above.
http://xhosxe.free.fr/PreenFM/VST/osx
I'm very interested by any feedbacks on osx. This is very new for me and to be honnest i've only tried with Reaper 32bits on osx 10.6.8.
The library i use do not allow for the moment AudioUnit plugin to send midi. I'll work on that.

Let me know all your problems/bugs etc... All remarks are welcome.

What's new in PreenVST 2.00.B3
. Compatible with firmware 2.00.B3 (matrix destination list + FULL NRPN support).
. Provided with more than 50 presets from the great Funkyfli bank + some drum sounds.
. Preset names are now editable with you computer keyboard and is saved with the preset.
. New version number to make the firmware compatibility clearer ;-)
. Much more tests than the previous one (so lots of fixes)...

Quick start :
Update your PreenFM firmware to be compatible with your PreenVST.
http://xhosxe.free.fr/PreenFM/firmware/
Then, PreenFM  Menu->conf :
  Midi channel : All or 1
  Midi thru : No
  Recevies :NRPN
  Send : NRPN
In your sequencer, the track where you put the plugin should receveive the PreenFM midi output and the track should send midi to the PreenFM input.
Load a preset on the PreenFM (hardware) then press "get preset" on the plugin... The hardware should dump its state and the plugin should be updated.

. What you change on the plugin should be copied to the PreenFM.
. What you change on the PreenFM should be copied to the plugin. So they should stay in sync.

Quit the sequencer, reload your project, the PreenFM should be initialized with the plugin state.

PS :
The sources will be available and i used IPlug libraries from Cokcos modified by olilarkin:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91811
Si this should compile without too much modification as audio unit for mac. If you have a mac, understand what all that means, and have free time to spend... let me know.

If you use Reaper you need to do the following:
"First call up the preferences panel (CTRL P) - then scroll down the list on the left and choose 'MIDI Devices'
At the bottom of the main panel, you will see tick boxes for "On stop/play..." followed by a few reset options.
Clearing the 'Reset CC' should stop Reaper from sending annoying messages that will set to the min value the last param you changed..."

Cheers,

Xavier
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:11:38 PM by Xavier »

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM VST 0.1
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:06:10 AM »
I tried using it in Sonar X1 Extended x64 and I could not get it to work.  It does however load, open, close and look fine. 
To set up vstis that output MIDI in Sonar, you are supposed to 'Enable MIDI Output'.  I could not get this to work however many times I clicked it.  (I enabled output on Kontakt.)  Though, I have never used a vst hardware programmer before, so I could be missing something. 
It does look good though, and  I hope to use it to full effect. :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

Thanks for the report.
I'll give it a try with sonar.
I have a sonar 8 license... I'll reinstall it and see if i can reproduce. I also saw there's a trial sonar X1 version.
I really have to try it on other hosts...

Xavier

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »
Sonar has a very unintuitive way of implementing MIDI vsts.  From what I have read, in order to get midi input and output... you first need to designate the vst as an instrument and then enable midi output on the instrument.  I think this is the first time I have bothered to try to get this working.  Hopefully, you have better luck. :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:31:08 PM »
The first VST was declared as an FX, it must be a synth to work in Sonar.
The v0.2 i just uploaded should work better.

I fought against sonar 8 to have it working.
I have the VST send midi to the Preen.
I cannot get the Preen send correctly to the VST. Seems like all NRPN value are 0. The right VST controller change but with the value 0.
There is a strange "don't intercept NRPN" option in the VST options that does not change anything.
Don't know if it's a Sonar 8 problem with NRPN or if it's a problem with the VST.

I'll try to investigate further when i have more time.
Anyway this V0.2 is better than the other.

Let me know what works / does not work for you,
Thanks,

Xavier
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:39:54 PM by Xavier »

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM VST v0.2
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
You'll be happy to know that this so far works perfectly in Hermann Seib's VSTHost.  And, I had some fun messing around with it.
As for Sonar X1, I have given up for the day.  I can enable MIDI output, but I can't record or send the NRPN to the PreenFM.  This is on the same track as the notes.  I also can't record any incoming PreenFM NRPN.  There must be some filtering settings somewhere I can't find.  I'll try again when the frustration dies down.

A couple of requests for the VST... Could you add Mouse Wheel support?  And is it possible to add direct input of values via the keyboard?
Also a couple of small issues I noticed: the voices do not follow the algorithms when they are switched, and, the matrix combobox options are displayed below the lower comboboxes and the version #.

thanks, Martin.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:41:38 AM by funkyfli »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »

Great you have it working with VSTHost !

Mouse Wheel is supported all over the VST and should work.
I also use mouse wheel a lot and it was a priority.
Maybe VSTHost does not forward the mouse wheel info to the VST. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the other reports.

I'll try to build a standalone version. The VST framework i use has this feature.

Xavier

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
Weird.  The mouse wheel does not work on Sonar 8.5 and X1 or VSTHost for me.  I'm using the x64 version.
A standalone version would be great!  I'd much prefer that over a vst.  Though, I'll keep trying to get cakewalk to work.

thanks, Martin.

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
Had another go with Sonar and a new session... And quickly found one issue w/ sonar
... The Plugin MUST have an associated audio track... for some strange reason.  Otherwise, it will not receive or send midi.
So, you'll be happy to know it does now work! :) ... Though, I still need to figure our why I don't get mouse wheel response.

For future reference:
a.  Make sure 'Do not intercept NRPNs' is checked in the VST Plug-In Properties

1.  Insert VST with associated Audio and MIDI tracks
2.  Right Click on VST in Synth Rack and 'Enable MIDI Output'
3.  Insert new MIDI track and set the input to the VST and the output to the PreenFM MIDI port.
4.  Set the VST MIDI input track input to the PreenFM MIDI port.
5.  Set the input echo on both MIDI tracks to 'on'
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:46:30 PM by funkyfli »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »

Thanks a lot for the report.
Yes i'm happy you have it working.

I've noticed that too in sonar 8. It works with an instrument track but not with a midi only track !! That's sounds weird !
But sonar 8 there seems to have an aditional NRPN bug... anyway sonar 8 is 4 years old now.

Xavier

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »
I have checked and it works in Sonar 8.5 x64 as well. :)

Martin.

A Bug:  On Algorithm 9, switching operator 5 shape, changes the frequency to low (.38 I think)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:57:44 PM by funkyfli »

maDMax

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »
here:

win7 64 bit, bidule as host 32 bit, preen vst works out of the box. very good for programming presets

max

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »
Bidule 32 bit : checked
Sonar 8.5 and X1 : checked
Reaper : checked
VSTHost : checked

Thanks  for the feedbacks :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:25:42 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM VST v0.3
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
v0.3 is ready....

Thanks a lot funkyfli for the bug reports....
Fixed in v0.3 :
1> "the voices do not follow the algorithms when they are switched"

2> "and, the matrix combobox options are displayed below the version # "
Fixing "the lower comboboxes" was a bit more complicated so not priority 1 for the moment

3> "On Algorithm 9, switching operator 5 shape, changes the frequency to low (.38 I think)"
Good catch... operator 6 shape was also broken...

Xavier

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM VST v0.3
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »
Thanks!  It's still working great.

I found out that in Sonar you need to check 'Do Not Intercept NRPNs' in the plugin properties to pass NRPN values other than zero.

Bug:  When saving in Sonar (also Autosave), the Algorithm will go back one value as well as the Operator Shapes.  eg. if Alg. was set to 8 a save will send it back to 7.  It must be calling some routine when saving.

thanks again,

Martin.