Author Topic: Tonight's the night  (Read 8245 times)

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
Tonight's the night
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
Finished building my PreenFM last night (Sept 10th) and hoping to test it tonight.  It really is an easy build, although perhaps I shouldn't mention that until after I see if it works!

A little while ago there was a thread on the Mutable Instruments forum discussing first builds for someone who is new at DIY electronics.  The idea was to find something not too expensive, easy to build and useful.  The Shruthi, while not overly difficult, is a bit much for a first build.  I think, with some adjustments to the online build instructions, the PreenFM could be done by a newcomer.

Hopefully I can report back later today.

Randy
1974-ish Rhodes Stage 88, Kurzweil K2600XS, urzweil K2500R, Roland A90EX, Roland A37, Korg Microstation, Korg MicroKorg, Alesis SR16, Shruthi SMR4 MK1, Shruthi 4PM, Shruthi XT SMR4 MK 2, PreenFM, iPad 2 + Alesis IO Dock

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's the night
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »

So ? Does it work ?  :)

Some people built the PreenFM as their very first DIY project.
On the Mutable Instruments forum, i remembered they looked for something really cheap and simple.

If you have any idea to make the built instructions better, let me know.

Xavier

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »
Yup, it works.

I updated the Mutable Instruments thread suggesting the PreenFM as a great first build.  I'm in the process of creating a PDF version of the operating manual and build instructions, fixing some spelling and formatting.  Nothing too fancy but if anyone is interested, I'll post it as an attachment here. 

I'd be happy to spend a bit more time on the build instructions to try and make them a bit more clear for newbies.  I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend the kit 'though.

Randy
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:58:32 PM by randy »
1974-ish Rhodes Stage 88, Kurzweil K2600XS, urzweil K2500R, Roland A90EX, Roland A37, Korg Microstation, Korg MicroKorg, Alesis SR16, Shruthi SMR4 MK1, Shruthi 4PM, Shruthi XT SMR4 MK 2, PreenFM, iPad 2 + Alesis IO Dock

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »

Thanks for the picture... the PreenFm is in good company  :D

Is the white shruthi a 4 pole mission ? With in and out pot.... nice....

Did you make yourself the case on which you put the 3 modules on ?

Xavier

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
The PreenFM is in the case from you, the Shruthi 4PM is in a custom case that I designed and built with small tools (a Dremel and files) and the Shruthi SRM4 MK I is also in a case I designed and built, using Lego, a stock top and a bit of extra plexi for the Input and Output volume controls.  The "rack" for the three was also built by me, I had a bunch of that textured plexi around.  It worked great for the 4PM case, since it's supposed to have an icy "Arctic" theme.  The LEDs in the 4PM are RGB, they change colours constantly, kinda useless but it looks cool.  I also put extra lights in the case of the SMR4.

I'd like to add a few extra LEDs to the PreenFM someday, just not sure if there's enough power coming into it.  Also, is there a convenient spot to add a power switch?

Glad you liked it, and thanks.

You can have a look at my stuff in these videos (no PreenFM in these yet):

Part 1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opRzWu2OIwQ&feature=plcp

Part 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7yQ47etjs&feature=plcp

Part 3:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBjuahssktc&feature=plcp

Part 4:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQAsQ5_xTs&feature=plcp

Randy
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:49:41 PM by randy »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »

Impressive studio...  :D
Sorry, no convenient spot to add a power switch.
The easiest way would be to add it on the USB cable but i think i've never seen that.

Xavier

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
Thanks!  Not a big deal about the power switch, I was only curious.

Randy